Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 25k jump, no chute

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The funny thing is, does 25k matter? Really? 50 feet requires less skill, but just as dead.
    I don't believe you have hit terminal velocity at 50ft and plunging toward a target that you can't even see must be far scarier and of course more difficult.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I liked the original by Alan Magee who shot down Germans, jumped from a burning plane and landed with out a net.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I don't believe you have hit terminal velocity at 50ft and plunging toward a target that you can't even see must be far scarier and of course more difficult.
    Terminal velocity is as much of an advantage as a disadvantage. At terminal velocity, his glide ratio was likely ~1:2 or maybe even ~1:1 (compared to ~1:5-1:10 during a fall from, say, an altitude of 300ft, which would be just as deadly). Heck, his speed even allowed him to maneuver and roll on his back before impact. You can't do that at 100ft or even 200ft of altitude, but as the other poster said, you're just as dead. He probably had more advantage being at terminal velocity than say being at 50% of it at a much lower altitude.

You see a lot of this in the aviation world, with simpletons being impressed with a lack of understanding of the basic physics of flight ("watch this amazing pilot land a plane with no engine power whatsoever!!!").

Doesn't mean the guy didn't do something impressive, but there comes a point where it's a lot of hype.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 06-14-18 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    I saw a video of a wingsuit guy without a chute land amphibian style on the water.

I wonder if his roll at the end moved him towards or away from the center.

If there isn't there should be a new saying "Hold my Red Bull."
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While this was truly awesome- I personally find it to borderline, if not outright morally irresponsible...see the wife & child? Its all good he made it- had he not..think of that boy seeing his dad's body splat all over the ground. TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    While this was truly awesome- I personally find it to borderline, if not outright morally irresponsible...see the wife & child? Its all good he made it- had he not..think of that boy seeing his dad's body splat all over the ground. TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.
    That perspective is probably correct. I hadn't looked at it that way. Although his family could be like The Flying Wallendas where growing up the kids come to accept that likelihood.

Also I'm assuming those safeties were with him to 3,000 feet before breakaway. If he wasn't lined up correctly at that point, I'm sure they had a plan.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't care what anybody says. He doesn't have brass balls. They're made of tungsten!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Fine line between brave and stupid. I think this falls into the stupid category. If it paves the way towards some nifty high rise escape doohickey then it’s not stupid. Just to say you did it - stupid.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Dude is totally sub-moa.
    Hitting that at 25 miles..
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Dude is totally sub-moa.
    Hitting that at 25 miles..
    Wonder what his ballistic coefficient was?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast