Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention pilots, need help with sickness

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Attention pilots, need help with sickness

I've been temporarily assigned to the air unit on my department. Went up in the helicopter yesterday and started feeling sick after about 20 minutes. One of the pilots told me to start a Dramamine regimen. Anything else that will help?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Temporarily can mean a lot of things, this may be worth while: http://transdermscop.com/transderm-s...nformation.htm

There are also OTC patches: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MQ-reg-Mo...-Box/107388345

My folks were big cruisers and my mom suffered from seasickness - patches worked best for her.

I taught EVOC for a long time, sometimes when students really had no feel for the vehicle and wanted to manhandle it you start to get queasy. I found that moving the seat forward so I could brace against the seat better, helped me feel the vehicle and reduced the commotion.

You didn't say anything challenging to the pilot like 'Make me sick' did you?

Good luck, as you get used to the inputs it will probably smooth out.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Front seat or back? If you’re in the front ask the pilot of you can shadow him on the controls. It helps to feel if your in control. In the back on the cameras? It going to take a while to adjust. You’re getting vertigo because your body is doing something and your eyes are seeing another. Take a break. Look at the horizon. Drink lots of water. It will get better after a few flights.
    Last edited by philcam; 06-26-18 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    ginger can help for a natural
    capsule of the powder can work
    fresh shaved into a fizzy drink which can be good if you like ginger flavor

we used to say "Keep your decks clean with marezine"
    Marezine does not hit the CNS its targeted at just the gut where dramamine hits the CNS more
    so marezine side effects can be less for some folks (less drowsy etc...) worth looking into if you think about dramamine

patch and other things I have no experience with

ditto eyes on horizon and fresh air
    dehydration can also be a cause or allow it to effect you more

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm here for 3 weeks after a critical incident. Riding back seat in the chopper.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Talk to your doc about a prescription for Zofran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never been motion sick in an airplane as pilot, or passenger. However, on a sail boat once I went below deck to go to the bathroom, and as the boat healed over I saw the water rushing by the port hole, which most likely confused my brain, and inner ear, because I felt no motion, but saw it. Once I stopped looking out of the port hole it went a way. Also, when sailing, we were always taught to focus on the horizon if we felt any motion sickness coming on. I don't know if that will help you in the helicopter, but you could try it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Dramamine works for the wife, she's got motion sickness from helos, catamarans, planes, cars. She also swears by those motion sickness bracelets which put pressure on a pressure point on your wrists.

I've never been sick on a boat, plane, helo, or a car but I have gotten sick as dog when I use to ride the back of ambulances. No windows to look out while sitting bumping down the road after a shift made me hurl.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Like others said.. The horizon is your friend. During my many years offshore I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people that were fine on deck but couldn't go below deck without blowing their guts out.

Feedback Score
    It seems everyone is different. As long as i can see a stationary object or plane (like the ocean), and my mind can make sense if what im feeling(up, left, roll right, etc, ) im fine. If i start doing focused work close to me and im moving, i get a little queasy.

Fwiw, an old captain told me if you get sick, sprite helps.
    Why?
    It gives you something to puke up, and youll feel better for a few minutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast