Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magnum PI Reboot

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They seem to be trying to make him into a James Bond like character
    Tom Selleck played a PI in two episodes of Rockford Files by the name of Lance White that was styled after James Bond. It was this role that got him cast as Magnum, when the show's creators approached Tom Selleck about the part he turned it down. Citing that it would be a flop because the PI they were pitching was a suave sharply dressed James Bond type of character. He said if they would re-write the role as a blue collar type of guy it would be a hit with male audiences and that he would do it. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Best part of the show was Higgin's, which if you paid attention was something of a bad ass in his prime, ironically presenting something of a "ghost of christmas future" for Magnum. Also the contrast of a British stiff upper lip with a anything goes American worked very well.
    "Oh my GOD!"

I couldn't agree more.

I always thought that John Hillerman was really British. He was that good, he also played his three half-brothers and his own father in the show. Very talented actor. Even though it was a comic relief mechanism Higgins stories were some of my favorite parts about the series. There is nothing he hadn't done or seen such a great character.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 06-16-18 at 07:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Best part of the show was Higgin's, which if you paid attention was something of a bad ass in his prime, ironically presenting something of a "ghost of christmas future" for Magnum. Also the contrast of a British stiff upper lip with a anything goes American worked very well.
    Exactly. Without Higgins and the “lads” mixing it up with magnum, I don’t think the show would have held me as a youth. Just the look on Higgins face kept me watching. I also appreciated that when things went sideways, they had each other’s back, regardless of the shape the Ferrari was in.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    We'll see. Tom Selleck was a man's man, not sure how the new guy will measure up.
    Seeing as he is five and a half feet tall, and a defining feature and sometimes plot device involved Magnum’s well above average height, it is possible they miscast this.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Seeing as he is five and a half feet tall, and a defining feature and sometimes plot device involved Magnum’s well above average height, it is possible they miscast this.
    Maybe they should call it Half Magnum?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    or Magnum S&W.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    or Magnum S&W.
    S&W P.I. ; Special P.I. Nevermind.........
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    or Magnum S&W.
    40 Short & Weak......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That was the joke, yes. I guess I should have made it more explicit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't see Magnum reruns, I don't know if they can be found anymore.
    It's kind of a shame because that was a well thought out and scripted show for a weekly production.
    The smarter way to have done this would have been to sell it to AMC and let them take it on with a bit more loyalty to the original and more money in its production.

Feedback Score
    If only it was the 80s again and I was rich.
    The crews of Magnum P.I., Simon and Simon, the fall guy, Riptide, A Team, and TJ Hooker would have starred in a massive budget extra length film ala the Longest Day where they repel a Red Dawn like invasion led by Adolph Lundgren.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast