Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: mid price range ar advice

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    You're on the wrong site........

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    OK,looking for an ar in the $800 +/- range. 18",1/8 (1/7 right gun/price) 223 wylde only. have looked at some here and on broker. brands i am seeing in my price range: rock river,PSA,matrix aerospace,aero prec,armalite and 1 LWRC black rain that i have doubts about due to low price. i do know what LWRCs go for. ruger and smith don't offer wylde chamberings. some brands just have nothing out there good or bad. lucked into a noveske at a firesale price. that isn't happening again. my expensive build in 223 rem is good but it's 223 rem. any input,experience etc appreciated. no,i'm not going to try and build one.
    Have you seen this? I found it a very helpful guide:

Top Tier AR-15 Manufacturers

These are our perceived top quality manufacturers who don’t cut corners and can produce near 100% reliable guns (or they have an awesome marketing budget). If you’re looking for the best service grade (mil-spec) AR for self or home defense, we recommend going with one of these top tier companies who stand behind their product.
    - Bravo Company (BCM)
    - Colt
    - Daniel Defense (DD)
    - Larue
    - Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT)
    - LWRC
    - Noveske
    - Rainier Arms
    - Yankee Hill Machine

Mid Tier Manufacturers

These are great guns that might start out range plinking guns until they’ve proven themselves. We recommend putting at least 1000 rounds through with varying conditions, ammo, and magazines before you trust a gun with your life. The below is not an exhaustive list, especially with all the builders out there.
    - Anderson
    - Aero Precision
    - FNH
    - Palmetto State Armory (PSA)
    - Ruger
    - Sig Sauer
    - Smith & Wesson
    - Spike’s

Budget Manufacturers

Nothing wrong with these guns either, they are great starter AR’s because of their affordability and are perfectly capable of being reliable. Just test them out first.
    - Bushmaster
    - Delton
    - DPMS
    - Olympic
    - Rock River Arms (RRA)
    - Stag
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15/
    I liken this to cars.

Top Tier:
    - BMW 7-series
    - Mercedes S-class

Mid Tier:
    - Honda Accord
    - Toyota Camry

Budget:
    - Ford Focus
    - Nissan Versa

Or if you will, steaks:

Top Tier:
    - Morton's
    - Ruth's Chris

Mid Tier:
    - Black Angus
    - Outback

Budget:
    - Applebee's
    - Chili's

I think too many new AR-15 owners see their idols (e.g. Costa, Haley, Vickers, etc) with the latest and greatest gear, and think that if they're to become badasses like these guys, they also need the latest and greatest gear. (The same goes for new car owners thinking they need a BMW, or guys trying to impress their dates by taking them to Ruth's Chris.) The truth is that the overwhelming majority of us casual shooters (i.e. those of us who aren't using the AR for actual duty, like law enforcement, active duty military, contractors, etc) would be perfectly well-served with a mid tier AR.

So, that being said, here's another vote for Palmetto State Armory. I haven't gotten into their .223 Wylde offerings, but I have bought both 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm complete uppers from them and am satisfied. They've worked just fine over a number of years.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who's perfectly happy with his Toyota Camry and a nice steak from Outback, so....
    Last edited by butlers; 06-15-18 at 15:32.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Feedback Score
    well put. never would owned a noveske if not for the fire sale price i paid. will never own a GAP bolt gun. very happy with tikkas and howas i have. problem free performance and best price point are what i was asking about. have seen the list which is consistent with everything i have heard,read,seen. at some point surviving a short term SHTF is a consideration (ala katrina). i don't believe that at my age a long term SHTF is really survivable (EMP ala one minute after). so,having best for buck good stuff to enjoy using is the goal. fishing tackle same/same.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by butlers View Post

Top Tier AR-15 Manufacturers

These are our perceived top quality manufacturers who don’t cut corners and can produce near 100% reliable guns (or they have an awesome marketing budget). If you’re looking for the best service grade (mil-spec) AR for self or home defense, we recommend going with one of these top tier companies who stand behind their product.
    - Bravo Company (BCM)
    - Colt
    - Daniel Defense (DD)
    - Larue
    - LWRC
    - Noveske
    - Rainier Arms
    - Yankee Hill Machine

Mid Tier Manufacturers

These are great guns that might start out range plinking guns until they’ve proven themselves. We recommend putting at least 1000 rounds through with varying conditions, ammo, and magazines before you trust a gun with your life. The below is not an exhaustive list, especially with all the builders out there.
    - Anderson
    - Aero Precision
    - FNH
    - Ruger
    - Sig Sauer
    - Smith & Wesson
    - Spike’s

Budget Manufacturers

Nothing wrong with these guns either, they are great starter AR’s because of their affordability and are perfectly capable of being reliable. Just test them out first.
    - Bushmaster
    - Delton
    - DPMS
    - Olympic
    - Rock River Arms (RRA)
    - Stag
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15/
    "Helpful"

in knowing that site is complete trash
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-15-18 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post
    Can someone explain to me this "Wylde" meme? I never quite understood it, it always seemed to be a retarded chamber altering of some sort meant for bench shooters shooting paper and most barrels seemed to be in stainless made by no-name companies.
    Pretty accurate which is why we asked and tried to help. “Because I want one” doesn’t go too far and there was a thread on this exact topic only a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by butlers View Post
    It puts YHM as a top grade AR and FN in the same category as Anderson? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty accurate which is why we asked and tried to help. “Because I want one” doesn’t go too far and there was a thread on this exact topic only a few months ago.

It puts YHM as a top grade AR and FN in the same category as Anderson? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly. YHM is no way a top tier. That's beyond laughable. Anderson would be a bottom feeder and I would bump Stag into the Mid-Tier.

Feedback Score
    like said,helpful but not handed down from the mountain. no seekins,no lancer? the info search is sorta based on some stuff i have seen (and yes,it's the internet) on some little known brands like HM,MAA ,PWS and others. put 18" wylde in on broker and you see a bunch of brands that are little known. even a colt with a wylde chamber-probably misidentified in it's description.
    Last edited by mosin46; 06-15-18 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Below are in no particular order within their respective groupings. I think it would be more realistic to provide a 4 or 5 category listing, but people seem to fixate on a three level tier, so here you go. I have eliminated several boutique and / or smaller players who really don't have much impact or put out a small amount of accessories/ parts.

Top quality manufacturers

- Bravo Company (BCM)
    - Colt
    - Daniel Defense (DD)
    - Noveske
    - FNH
    - KAC

Mid Tier Manufacturers

- Aero Precision
    - Ruger
    - Sig Sauer
    - Smith & Wesson
    - Spike’s
    - Rock River Arms (RRA)
    - Stag
    - Bushmaster

Budget Manufacturers

- Anderson
    - Delton
    - DPMS
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    OK,looking for an ar in the $800 +/- range. 18",1/8 (1/7 right gun/price) 223 wylde only. have looked at some here and on broker. brands i am seeing in my price range: rock river,PSA,matrix aerospace,aero prec,armalite and 1 LWRC black rain that i have doubts about due to low price. i do know what LWRCs go for. ruger and smith don't offer wylde chamberings. some brands just have nothing out there good or bad. lucked into a noveske at a firesale price. that isn't happening again. my expensive build in 223 rem is good but it's 223 rem. any input,experience etc appreciated. no,i'm not going to try and build one.

Looking for a low priced AR throws a lot of options out, but I think you may have a hard time beating that Aero Precision at from G&R. Yes, you would need to use a rail which attaches to a USGI barrel nut, but there are plenty of those out there with the Centurion Arms C4 quad rail probably being at the top of the list.

You mention your expensive build is a .223, which has me curious as to which one that is.

I'm also curious what the drive for a 223 wylde is, especially when you aren't listed an intended purpose for the weapon.

Thanks, and with a few answers I'm pretty sure choices can be narrowed down for you easily enough.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post
    Can someone explain to me this "Wylde" meme? I never quite understood it, it always seemed to be a retarded chamber altering of some sort meant for bench shooters shooting paper and most barrels seemed to be in stainless made by no-name companies.
    Why don't you take the time to educate yourself before jumping in and adding nothing of substance. There is a search function (top right of forum page). What I do is search the forum and separate the wheat from the chaff and copy paste the results for future reference.

A lot of the barrel makers known for accurate barrels are not high volume makers and may not be well known.

For some folks, think DMR or SPR folks, getting a 1/4 MOA reduction in group size is a big deal.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-15-18 at 16:29.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast