Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: mid price range ar advice

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    OP, I’m not the most experienced, but I’ve spent four years spending far to much time here and other places reading from those who know more.
    There is no reason to buy a .223 Wylde unless you are a particularly good shot that can take advantage of what could perhaps be an improvement. 5.56mm chambers will shoot .223 ammo just fine, and should be the primary choice for most shooters. 1/7 twist stabilized everything just fine, though I’ve read that 1/7.7 (or practically “1/8”) is ideal. But are you really going to shoot the bullets that will make use of that? Or did you come up with what you want in stats without considering what you’ll actually shoot out of it, and your personal skill level.
    Your requirement of an 18” barrel limits your choices overall, but is a standard length that will probably have a number of 223 Wylde clambering. But then we come back to price. At the price you’re talking about, you can get a good basic rifle, ie Colt, as others have pointed out, or you can get exactly what you want for in a complete upper. That’s it. You’re not going to get a high quality rifle at that price point with everything you want, unless you find stuff on sale and built it yourself.

That said, my next choice will be an odd chamber, just haven’t decided whether it will be .223 Wylde, BRT, CLE or what. Can I out shoot it? Not even close, but it sounds cool, and I already have a couple 5.56 rifles. Beyond chamber, I’m still deciding between 16/18/20” barrels...not because I can truly take full advantage of any of them, but because I like the idea of a high quality, precision instrument that I put together myself and priced out at a smoking good overall low price. So don’t take any of this as judgement, just trying to help you flesh out what you really want and why, as well as bring some realistic expectations. $800 ain’t happening with your requirements.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 06-15-18 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty accurate which is why we asked and tried to help. “Because I want one” doesn’t go too far and there was a thread on this exact topic only a few months ago.

It puts YHM as a top grade AR and FN in the same category as Anderson? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deleted.

All this is just BS until OP posts quantified specs for what he wants.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-15-18 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got bit by the 18" rifle length bug last year.. Built one up that was a tack driver. It was heavy, and unbalanced. Bought a Colt trooper and liked it much more, and the colt also shoots sub moa with certain handloads. The Colt is better balanced, and pretty much just better. Aside from the optic, light, and vertical grip the gun is completely stock. You don't need a 300$ trigger to shoot accurately. Unless you are rolling in cash, I would prioritize a good rifle with lots of ammo.

I sold the 18" gun to a friend for a good deal because it just collected dust, and now just pretty much shoot the Colt and my Tavor.

My next AR will be another plain Jane Colt.

Super fancy ARs and accessories just feel like a waste of money to me, but to each their own.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's what a stock Colt 6920-R can do with some cheap handloads at 100 yards and a decent scope. I wrote a thread with the recipe in the reloading section. I'm sure I could tighten the groups up if I tried harder, but I don't really care enough to.

Feedback Score
    Colt makes a good rifle, no doubt, but I just don't like the magpul stuff they hang off of them, or the trigger. But I shoot Wilson combat 1911 and a Springfield trp operator along with a Remy 700 5r, so i'm used to really good triggers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Colt makes a good rifle, no doubt, but I just don't like the magpul stuff they hang off of them, or the trigger. But I shoot Wilson combat 1911 and a Springfield trp operator along with a Remy 700 5r, so i'm used to really good triggers.

You can buy Colts without the Magpul furniture, and the triggers are just fine. You don't need a $240 Geissele trigger to shoot accurately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    You can buy Colts without the Magpul furniture, and the triggers are just fine. You don't need a $240 Geissele trigger to shoot accurately.
    No you don't. You can also ride a bicycle with flat tires to get to work, but driving a good vehicle is so much better

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I don't know who it was but someone seemingly smart once posted something along the lines of 'you don't need a good trigger to learn to shoot (shoot accurately), but why fight a bad one.'
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't know who it was but someone seemingly smart once posted something along the lines of 'you don't need a good trigger to learn to shoot (shoot accurately), but why fight a bad one.'
    Bacause OP has an $800 budget for a complete rifle. If you think a trigger that is 25% of your rifle cost is going to be the deciding factor in you making a hit... i dont know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    No you don't. You can also ride a bicycle with flat tires to get to work, but driving a good vehicle is so much better

Using a stock trigger wont damage your gun.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-16-18 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I wouldn't classify a Colt trigger as bad.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast