Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the 14.5" M4 barrels with FSBs these days?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    This is going to piss a lot of people off, but I’ll say it- It’s just not that hard to build an AR that I would walk through an Iraqi doorway with. It’s 2018. The TDP isn’t goddamn magic. Has anyone heard of reverse engineering? The AR15, like the 1911, is not complicated. You don’t need to pay an arm and a leg to get one thats worthy of clearing your way from your mom’s basement to the kitchen.

I served, overseas, with an MOS that primarily involved kicking doors in. The only weapon systems I truly liked were the M24 and the 240B. The M9 was alright as well. All of my AR’s were hit or miss and they were all Colt. The 110 made by Jesus, I mean KAC, was a damn nightmare to try and shoot consistently well at distance. Who makes it matters significantly less than people think. I have two BCM’s, and neither blow my doors off. The two times I’ve called them I’ve been less than impressed with the attitude on the other end of the phone.

I would love to run and gun, swing a kettlebell and shoot an at unknown distance with half of the people on here spending their entire days arguing about the damn TDP. I’ve actually invited one of the loudest mouths on here to do so and never heard back. Shoot more, write less. A properly staked bolt carrier won’t matter nearly as much as a sub 8 minute mile when you need it.
    Who are you so wise in the ways of AR’s and life in general? Seriously, what a great post. I didn’t learn kicking in doors, I learned by buying parts and discovering that a couple $235 lower receivers that Gandalf forged in the fires of Mount Doom was less than any other lower I owned including ANDERSON, Aero (by leaps and bounds) and even... wait.. get ready for it.. the Bushmaster lower receiver that I recently built a damn fine AR on top of. Oh and for far less than $1000. Like waaaaaaaay less.

Let’s face it. A lot of guys are hung up on the Names. Not just company/brand names but who uses it. They spend the money (as I have) and justification is just as natural as breathing. I almost went down that path, Until a friend called me out and reminded me about DPMS lower with an butt-ton if rounds through it, 2 LPK’s and 3 triggers I think.

Anyway, it’s a spot on post, and man I’ll shoot with you anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score

Cool

This thread is way better than "Days of Our Lives"! I am gobsmacked.
    Now, where (exactly) are the 14.5" M4 barrels with FSBs these days?

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    This thread is way better than "Days of Our Lives"! I am gobsmacked.
    Now, where (exactly) are the 14.5" M4 barrels with FSBs these days?

heres one

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771818700

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would agree the colt socom barrel is great, my Noveske 14.5" shoots amazingly well and they can make you one with a fsb. I don't have an issue with bcm rifles but isn't bcm just a really good assembler/marketer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    I would agree the colt socom barrel is great, my Noveske 14.5" shoots amazingly well and they can make you one with a fsb. I don't have an issue with bcm rifles but isn't bcm just a really good assembler/marketer?
    Isn’t Colt just an assembler?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    This is going to piss a lot of people off, but I’ll say it- It’s just not that hard to build an AR that I would walk through an Iraqi doorway with. It’s 2018. The TDP isn’t goddamn magic. Has anyone heard of reverse engineering? The AR15, like the 1911, is not complicated. You don’t need to pay an arm and a leg to get one thats worthy of clearing your way from your mom’s basement to the kitchen.

I served, overseas, with an MOS that primarily involved kicking doors in. The only weapon systems I truly liked were the M24 and the 240B. The M9 was alright as well. All of my AR’s were hit or miss and they were all Colt. The 110 made by Jesus, I mean KAC, was a damn nightmare to try and shoot consistently well at distance. Who makes it matters significantly less than people think. I have two BCM’s, and neither blow my doors off. The two times I’ve called them I’ve been less than impressed with the attitude on the other end of the phone.

I would love to run and gun, swing a kettlebell and shoot an at unknown distance with half of the people on here spending their entire days arguing about the damn TDP. I’ve actually invited one of the loudest mouths on here to do so and never heard back. Shoot more, write less. A properly staked bolt carrier won’t matter nearly as much as a sub 8 minute mile when you need it.
    You can’t really blame someone for not wanting to meet a stranger from the Internet. I had an awful experience with that as a child and haven’t ever done any blind Internet meetups since. I’m even afraid to try tinder.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You seemed to have missed several points. I was referring to companies like LMT and KAC who made material design improvements that have influenced or directly incorporated into current generation weapons, with good reason.

I gave credit to bcm for the kmr, and I use gunfighter ch's, but don't really consider it a huge breakthrough, as it was just evolutionary improvement of the badger /tac-latch stuff. Not sure I buy that they were first with mid-lengths, though they certainly did champion it.

I still say, there is a big difference from the bcm/noveske/larue/LBC companies and Colt/FN/HK/LMT/KAC/Walther/imi.
    BCM was absolutely not the first with a mid length. RRA was making mid lengths WAY before BCM was even a dirty thought and so was Noveske (those are just off the top of my head). Now, I’d wager BCM’s expert marketing certainly contributed to the mid lengths proliferation.

Feedback Score
    I believe Colt developed the first failed mid-length in the 1960s. Armalite made the first commercially successful model in the 1990s. There were also some bastardized lengths along the way.

I believe RRA had made some mids in the early 2000s that were over-gassed like the others.

IIRC, the change from 16” to 14.5” mid-lengths happened around 2008 or 2009, and there were growing pains until BCM hammered them out.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'm going to go kick in my bathroom door to try to gain some better knowledge on how the AR platform works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's one thing to debate about the strengths and weaknesses of various companies, but purse fighting like a bunch of old babushkas over the last cabbage at the state commissary is another. ArmyChief must be rolling in his grave.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast