Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol Kahr pm9 questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pocket Pistol Kahr pm9 questions

I have started to look at the Kahr pm9 to carry on some of my more formal nights out. Anyone have one of these want to chime in, from the reviews they seem well made good quality and pretty dang accurate given the small size.

Feedback Score
    A PM9 is one of three Kahrs I have owned. A K9 had issues stovepiping the second round, which I believe stemmed from the magazine and more particularly the follower. A PM45 ran like a champ.
    However... the PM9 was a project.
    From my experience and from posts I have seen on forums, the PM9 is generally a working weapon, but there are certainly a number of folks who have experienced problems (like me!). For example I went through three barrel replacements before I got one that was right. And while Kahr replaced the barrels at no cost, Kahr is very clear and specific that a new Kahr should go through 200 rounds to break it in. So each barrel actually cost me ammo and time. At the end of the day my PM9 did run, but at considerable effort and added expense.
    And the size of the PM9 makes it relatively more difficult to shoot.
    I no longer have that Kahr PM9. (If you decide to get one, send me a pm as I happened upon a couple of PM magazines in my parts box.)
    My present subcompact is a Walther PPS, which I can recommend wholeheartedly. Particularly in summer, my PPS is almost my primary carry using a Galco ankle holster.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Carried a PM9 with safety as my pocket pistol for a couple of years, as I'm usually in a suit. Ended up going with a Glock 43. The PM9 is difficult to shoot well, especially with the tiny grip--almost akin to shooting .38 snub noses with full power loads. The trigger also changes based on the # of rounds you have in the magazine--the initial round is light but the last round will be significantly heavier due to the magazine's pressure against the slide. Never had a malfunction with mine, but I know some PM9s had case-hardening issues with the barrel.

Would I recommend it? Not anymore. Try the Glock 43 and the PM9 before you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    I've had a PM9 since I bought it new in 2005( serial VB80XX). It has had about 2850 rds through it. In 2010, at about 1800 rds I sent it back for the barrel peening recall. Mine was unreliable for the first 400-500 rds with frequent failures to return to battery; it gradually got better after that. I didn't keep great records back then, and the cause may have been a bad mag, bad ammo, or bad technique. Since rd 1250 I've had a single stoppage, at about rd 1500. Yes, it's harder to shoot well than bigger guns. I've also noticed it seems to need a new recoil spring assy about every 750 rds, too. But it's the only 9mm I've ever found that will fit in most pockets, and more importantly, that allows me to draw rapidly and smoothly. It fits a niche for me so I hang onto it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a pm9 and cw9. I sold them off as I grew with what I thought I needed. I carry a vp9sk and have a vp9 tac that are stock, except for i put full cover striker covers on them. Recently, because of a work change, I have to be more discrete and will be buying a pps with euro mag release.

When I was looking I thought back to the break in and decided it wasn't worth it to me to deal with the possibilities. Not when the pps, 43, and shield are out there.

That said when I was buying my vp9tac my fiance asked to see a 380 version that was in the case. He made a buy 1 get one deal that I really didn't want to pass up because she made it seem like I may be back to get it anyway. She loves it, its been fine, and it's better to have the gun on her body at the law office than in a vault on her desk when she's away from it. So there it is. If you get one that works and the slightly smaller footprint means it will be on you. Rock it. Just vet it.

Edit: accidental cap lock would have possibly changed the way the sentence was read.
    Last edited by Hemoglobin; 06-16-18 at 12:29. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I grew up shooting "K" frame revolvers- with nice double actions.

My familiarity with that trigger was what caused me to go with a PM9 as a back up/deep concealment gun.
    No regrets.

Icing on the cake was the 115 gr. GD's (Standard pressure) chrono'd low 1200 FPS and were accurate. Six rds. headshot at 15 yds. on an IPSC target was a regular deal.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ve had one since 2005-2006ish. Similar serial to the one above.

I haven’t had many of the problems mentioned above. I’ve noticed no change in trigger pull as you go through the mag. I have noticed that it feeds reliable if you drop he slide with the slide stop/release as opposed to sling shotting it.

It is uncomfortable to shoot a lot. Is usually run maybe a hundred rounds through it before quals. It’s accurate enough. I have qualed into mid 90s with it a couple times. I don’t get to worried because it’s definitely a bad breath distance gun and is mostly used as an on duty back up after years of being my primary off duty carry gun.

I use a leather pocket holster for it. Significantly reduces the dust build up from the neoprene/synthetic style pocket holsters. I’m considering on of the BFG holsters.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Not recommended.

I had a PM9 I ran close to 9k rounds. It stopped being reliable, even after replacements spring, trips to the factory, etc. My assumption is the frame was just shot out but I ran out of patience after spending half the value in pistol in new parts.

The biggest issue, as noted, is getting a Kahr to run. Great when they do, miserable customer service when they don’t. I had a cat named Steve IIRC who was self-described as Kahr’s Oldest Technician tell me my gun could not fail in the matter I described. Lots of attitude but he STFU when I sent pictures of a one piece barrel that became two pieces. Magazines and accessories are pricey too.

There is a reported issue with PM9s running in freezing weather. I noticed it several times, very slow cycling and occasional return to battery. Changed oils, removed all grease, etc. Cannot absolutely say it was not my fault, but it only occurred when exposed to cold - so never when presented from my preferred AIWB. Take the gun in a range bag in January, very prone to FtF. That may or may not be a concern depending on environment.

As noted above, I liked the trigger pull, other ergonomics, etc. on both Kahrs I have owned. Both have had failed and went back to the factory. Now I have a Glock 26 - cheaper, more reliable from day one but not as refined.

Feedback Score
    I have owned a Kahr Pm 9 for about 8 years and I will say it works well and is accurate , I really like the 147 gn 9mm for accuracy. That being said I do not own but love the 9mm S@W Shield much better than the Kahr. A sub compact doesn't need to be target accurate. How far would self defense distances be?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had a CW9 for about 8 years. In my case, the break in period was very real with several failures in the first 2-400 rounds with ball ammo. My gun didn't drop mags free. The mag would drop about 1-2" and stick. The Kahr rep called it a safety feature but I sent it back to them to have the "safety feature" removed. I think it just had cheap mags that would have broken if dropped on concrete. Since the first 400 rounds or so, I have found the gun to be reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. My wife really likes it and we still have it. I have moved on to a Shield for this style of gun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast