Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible issue with brand new HK Mk23

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Possible issue with brand new HK Mk23

I just got the tax stamp back on a KAC MK23 suppressor and I stopped by PSA Friday and bought a brand new HK MK23. I took it out today to do some factory load testing and then adjust the suppressor piston to try and get the POI as close to the pistol w/o the can as I could.

I shot all factory ammo:

FGMM 230gr
    Amwrican Eagle 230gr
    Speer 230gr Gold Dot
    Win 230gr Ranger T
    Win 230gr brown box ball
    Hornady 230gr +P XTP

I’ve owned a first year Mk23 and own a HK USP Expert 9mm as well as a couple P7’s, VP9, P30’s...
    The older Mk23 I owned would consistently shoot premium ammo into a 2.5” group at 50 yards from the bench. The USP Experts will too. This new Mk23’s best group without the suppressor was around 6” at 50 yards benched. Absolutely nowhere near what I’ve had other HK’s do. I also had a handful of brand new Federal Gold Metal Match cases split starting about 1/3 the way up from the casehead all the way to the mouth. The side where the split is was also visually bulged. I am not home yet to check them with the calipers but it looks like all the brass has a slight bulge on one side and is discolored from powder burn. The bulge also starts around 1/3 of the way up from the casehead and forward. It is not like what you would see in a Glock 40 cal where the casehead/base is not supported. Looking inside the chamber I can see heat discoloration on the chamber wall opposite of the ejection port.

Is it possible I may have a messed up chamber?

I’m not boastful, but I know what I can do with a rifle and pistol. I know when it is me and when it is equipment. When shooting today I would slide back over to my 9mm USP Expert and stack bullets on a 3” shoot n see at 50 yards.

Another thing I noticed with the American Eagle 230gr is every few rounds I would have one that would be wildly off, like 2 feet at 50 yards. That early mfg Mk23 I owned would NEVER do that. Unfortunately I sold it because I want to install an RMR on my Mk23 and I couldn’t bring myself to mill that beautiful prestine maritime finish slide. I guess I should have kept it.

Any insight is appreciated. I figured I’d ask here and see what you guys think it might be before I call HK.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 06-17-18 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I’ve had a lot of HKs, several friends have older MK23s, even without the case issues that accuracy on THAT handgun would be unacceptable to me.
    I’m interested to see what HK has to say, as well as the SME/ senior members here.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Oh man that sucks, I have always wanted a 23. I hope it works out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Oh man that sucks, I have always wanted a 23. I hope it works out.

PB
    Well this does suck. I got home and have around a 0.020 high spot in near every case. I have a machined flat surface at home and I can roll live rounds across it and they roll perfectly smooth. Looking straight under the case where it rolls there is no variation where the surfaces meet. If I roll any of the fired cases there is a definite high spot and you can see the warpedness of the case by the light shining through as it rolls along. It also does the speed up/slow down as it comes and goes over the high spot. I would say the chamber is slightly oval shaped by looking at this brass.

I’ll give HK a shout in the morning and get it sorted out. I’ll update what is found.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    I’m certain HK will take care of you. They have always gone above and beyond with the very few issues I’ve had over the years.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I know they will. I’ve never had any problems before but any time I’ve ever called they have always been extremely helpful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let us know what they say, please

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Let us know what they say, please
    Will do. I ordered some cerrosafe from brownells, should be here tomorrow. I’m going to mold the chamber, take some measurements and send that mold to HK with the pistol. I got a RAN from them and will send it out tomorrow after I mold the chamber.

I’ve been looking at all the fired brass with a magnifying glass and there has to be an issue with the chamber to cause this bluging. Also if I pull the barrel out and push a live round into the chamber and hold it tight with my finger you can look down the barrel and see the case mouth edge exposed on one side and 180 degrees from it you cannot see the case mouth edge. When pushed in tightly it looks like the bullet is sitting offset just a bit.

Just to be clear, I didn’t start this thread to bash HK. I love their firearms and they are the only pistols I really care to own. I was more or less curious if anyone here has ever had a chamber or barrel issue that would cause the problems I am seeing.

Feedback Score
    Hate to tell you, but every single USSOCOM vet I've talked to who was issued the 23 said it was a mess: too large, too heavy, way too much for the mission. Sure, it is a great handgun, but is just that: a handgun that was/is basically a stupid design and construction from the get go.

God bless German over-engineering. It helped us win WWII.

Contact HK, I'm sure they will take care of you.
    Last edited by TRSTNG; 06-22-18 at 04:57.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRSTNG View Post
    Hate to tell you, but every single USSOCOM vet I've talked to who was issued the 23 said it was a mess: too large, too heavy, way too much for the mission. Sure, it is a great handgun, but is just that: a handgun that was/is basically a stupid design and construction from the get go.

God bless German over-engineering. It helped us sin WWII.

Contact HK, I'm sure they will take care of you.
    What a wealth of information on the topic at hand, we'd be lost without you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast