Thread: Help finding a specific bullet.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Help finding a specific bullet.

Background:
    I am in the process of building a 11.5" PDW that I am calling "Tinker". I got a Noveske (Pac-Nor) 11.5 barrel because I found the improved polygonal rifling was better than the single point cut/traditional rifling which would provide a better gas seal thus higher velocity and because it was an "improved" version, it would have increased accuracy in a 11.5" barrel. Also, Noveske/Pac-Nor guarantees these 11.5" barrels to have tolerances within .0001 and .0003 and each barrel is hand lapped.

Having said that. I am looking for a specific bullet (5.56) for this particular barrel. 11.5" 1 in 7" twist, carbine gas system. I don't have any requirements other than absolute surgical precision, accuracy and consistency up to 300 yards and 2000+ fps and low frag velocity. I have looked into the following:

Barnes 85 OTM
    Black Hills 77 TMK
    Barnes 69 OTM

I know nothing about bullets. I don't even know what is available. Any thoughts? Are any of the 3 that I mentioned good?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    it's getting harder to find but maybe also look into mk 318 mod 0 to add to your list

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've found that powder and primer selection is more important than bullet design when it comes to precision from a SBR.

Wild SD's from inconsistent burns will leave you chasing your tail. MarkM is probably gonna yell at me but, I love R10x in short barrels. Limits my projectile selection but I don't care as long as the 55 grainers go where I expect them to.

You're just going to have to experiment with several different combos to see what your barrel likes.

Feedback Score
    A little weak, possibly in the terminal ballistics area, but 60gr vmax might shoot very well, could be worth at least testing.

At 300yds, i believe that what your barrel likes will have more effect than wind bucking abilty of heavier bullets.
    If your barrel like the heavies best, win-win.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    OTM generally are not designed to expand/frag but do perform better than ball, the MK318 Mod 0 does not have a good rep for accuracy. The heavy bullet loads seem to do pretty go in SBR's I would try the 75 grain Gold Dot HP, the 69 and 77 gr TMK's.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    OTM generally are not designed to expand/frag but do perform better than ball, the MK318 Mod 0 does not have a good rep for accuracy. The heavy bullet loads seem to do pretty go in SBR's I would try the 75 grain Gold Dot HP, the 69 and 77 gr TMK's.
    I would only use 5.56 NATO pressure loads in that short barrel, not .223.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score

Help finding a specific bullet.

Are you looking for accuracy or are you looking for precision? It’s important that we separate the two.

Accuracy, is sometimes easier to attain when we relax precision in favor of flatter shooting bullets. Your requirement of shooting to 300 is not so difficult to achieve.

How large is the target? What is the target? Varmints? Medium game? Bad guys?

Perhaps a varmint style bullet is appropriate providing you do not need to shoot this rifle for defensive purposes. A 55 gr VMAX or a light AMAX zeroed a few inches high at 100 yards may give you a PBR to nearly 300. This would give you an advantage in accuracy in that you can shoot without elevation correction.

Now if you want precision, with tiny little groups, this may or may not be the right approach. Though, I have had very good luck with accuracy and precision with 55 gr VMAX, TAC, and BR4 primers in my 11.5” rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redpillregret; 06-19-18 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I am wanting to hit a 8" diameter object at 25' all the way out to 400' every time using a magnified red dot.

I bought a few boxes of Barnes Precision Match 85GR OTM BT. Can you tell me about this particular bullet? Will this bullet work for my intended purpose?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I am wanting to hit a 8" diameter object at 25' all the way out to 400' every time using a magnified red dot.

I bought a few boxes of Barnes Precision Match 85GR OTM BT. Can you tell me about this particular bullet? Will this bullet work for my intended purpose?
    You’re wanting to shoot a 2MoA target. You should be able to do that with 193 ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post

Might have to watch the OAL with regard to AR magazines.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!