Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon on the side of my brass?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You're getting case separation. I bet your sizing die is set too low. Do you have a case guage?

Wolf Brass might have thinner webs than other brass. So if you're bumping the shoulder too far back, it could be showing up on brass that's weakest in that area. Based on my experience, I expect 1 separation for every 20,000 rounds I load. So if you're seeing them regularly, there is a problem.

In .308, I killed many pieces of Lapua brass by sizing it back to SAAMI, instead of to the actual bolt gun. 223, however, works fine off of the case gauge
    That's the interesting thing though. I do have a case guage, and it is in spec. I even started sizing them at the very top end of the case guage, but that didn't fix the issue. When comparing my sized brass to factory rounds, my shoulders we're about identical, then I went further out to max thinking that was the issue, and still no dice. I'm thinking the next step might be trying different brass.

I feel uncomfortable sizing past Sammi spec for shoulder tolerance. I have noticed once the brass is fire formed the shoulder is a good bit past sammi spec. However since my shoulders are identical to factory ammo, I'm not sure what the problem is. I am thinking that maybe the batch of brass I'm using is too hard.

Feedback Score
    Interesting
    If its too hard could that cause it?

I wonder if the Zn content is high, or if there is a metallic contaminate?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not sure, I feel baffled. There isn't an issue when I use wolf gold, but when I reload the brass I have this issue. I don't feel safe with the shoulders any longer, or charges any hotter. I'm thinking I will have to try new brass. Which is a shame, I have thousands of spent wolf gold brass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This only happens with wolf brass using a correctly adjusted resizing die? This same resizing die make appropriate dimension resized brass with a different head stamp?

Feedback Score
    Are you using a headspace measuring tool like the Hornady to see how far you’re knocking the shoulders back from fired brass out of the gun? That’s the only way to see how much your sizing. Case gauges suck. I used one that was so out of whack that to make a .308 case fit perfect or as much as you can feel, it was bumping the shoulders back over .008 from fired brass. When I would bump the shoulders back .003 from fired brass, if I put that in that gauge it wouldn’t come close to fitting in there. I threw that gauge away along with a Dillon that was so sloppy you could put fired brass in there and shake it. I set the shoulders back .003 for my semi autos, just in case that comes up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Case gauges don't suck... unless you get one that's out of spec. I've never heard of that happening though. And a case gauge is easily checked against various factory loads to see if it checks out.

The reason the once fired brass isn't problematic is that it's the initial fire forming to POSSIBLY an excessive head spaced gun. The obvious next step is to try a little sample of different brass. I'm guessing the result will be the same if you're saying once fired brass is way over max in the gauge.

I reload WOLF Gold brass, but I don't track it due to having too much .223 brass. I've not noticed anything unusual about the Wolf brass that I've shot.

You could try sizing a piece of brass to just over max on the guage, and see if it chambers. If it does, there's a problem. Years back, I got a little sloppy on my die setting and had a batch of .223 just a smidge over max. It was choking my AR15 like crazy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You could try sizing a piece of brass to just over max on the guage, and see if it chambers. If it does, there's a problem.
    I was going to suggest this as well. If you're sizing to spec and seeing separations after a couple firings, there's a possibility you have excessive headspace in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I was going to suggest this as well. If you're sizing to spec and seeing separations after a couple firings, there's a possibility you have excessive headspace in the chamber.
    This is where having the Hornady cartridge case headspace gauge is good to have because you can measure "fired" cases.

Below a Colt Field gauge at 1.4736

Below the Colt Field gauge in a adjusted/caliberated Hornady gauge.

Below a fired case in the Hornady gauge and then my die is adjusted for .003 shoulder bump.

NOTE, the SAAMI cartridge and chamber drawings have headspace listed as min and max with .010 in between. The GO and NO-GO gauges are for setting up a new rifle or barrel changes,

Pacific Tool and Gauge offers three lengths of headspace gauges per rifle caliber. In order from the shortest to longest, they are: GO, NO-GO, and FIELD:

1. GO: Corresponds to the minimum chamber dimensions. If a rifle closes on a GO gauge, the chamber will accept ammunition that is made to SAAMI’s maximum specifications. The GO gauge is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight, accurate and safe chamber that will accept SAAMI maximum ammo. Although the GO gauge is necessary for a gunsmith or armorer, it usually has fewer applications for the collector or surplus firearms purchaser.

2. NO-GO: Corresponds to the maximum headspace Forster recommends for gunsmiths chambering new, bolt action rifles. This is NOT a SAAMI-maximum measurement. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge, it may still be within SAAMI specifications or it may have excessive headspace. To determine if there is excessive headspace, the chamber should then be checked with a FIELD gauge. The NO-GO gauge is a valuable tool for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight and accurate chamber.

3. FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gauge, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gauges are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

Bottom line, you have .007 beyond the NO-GO gauge for usage wear on the bolt lugs and lug recesses.

Feedback Score
    What make full length die are you using?

What is the diameter of your fired cases at three points vs a resized case?

I have a Lee .223 full length die that will reduce the case diameter more than my RCBS small base die. And this same die will push the case shoulder back .009 shorter than my GO gauge.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Out of curiosity... What barrel and bolt are you running?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast