Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just inherited a LNIB S&W 3904. Questions & help needed, please.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just inherited a LNIB S&W 3904. Questions & help needed, please.

My dad bought this gun in late eighties, or 1990 or so, was NIB.
    He had two factory 8 rounds mags, and shot less than 50 rounds the day he brought it home, probably. iirc..was about 24 rounds, or three mags worth.
    The mags were loaded, sat in a drawer over 20 + years, untill I got him to let me have it and give it a workout on the range about 5 years back. It shot well, I cleaned it, reloaded the mags, and it sat in the same drawer until today, when my mother let me have it. One mag is missing, only have the one 8 rounder for now.
    So, I know these were made from '88 to '91...its a blue alloy frame..Im guessing aluminum? Serail number starts with TCL, and its in the low 3,000 range. Any idea when it was made?
    Also- have searched hi & low using all my resources and search-fu...mags are very difficult to locate, new ones anyway.
    Question- will Model 909 or Model 3906 8 or 9 round mags fit the 3904? They are much more available.
    If not..anyone have a source on new mags?
    Whats the general opinion on these? I really like it, and it aint going anywhere good or bad.
    Any info, and help finding mags greatly appreciated.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you might want to log on to Glocktalk.com and talk to BAC. he's a well versed collector

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    You have a third generation S&W, 39 being the 1st gen with 439, 539, 639, 909, 952 being the second gen and 3904, 3906, 3944, 3946 being the third. They all accept the same 9 round single stack mag, which is pretty available. The 3904 has an aluminum alloy reciever.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    You have a third generation S&W, 39 being the 1st gen with 439, 539, 639, 909, 952 being the second gen and 3904, 3906, 3944, 3946 being the third. They all accept the same 9 round single stack mag, which is pretty available. The 3904 has an aluminum alloy reciever.
    AH, THANKS brother...you did me a solid!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I could have sworn the magazines were 8 round capacity.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Where's the picture????

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I could have sworn the magazines were 8 round capacity.
    The 1st gen mags held 8 rounds, they had an aluminum floorplate which slid over the tabs on the magazine body. I found them to be pretty durable. I really liked the first Stainless 639 I handled, and took it for my own through all generation changes, until we started seeing so many Glocks that teaching with a DA/SA didn't make sense.

The switch to plastic/polymer floor plates added one round. The new mags work in the older pistols, do not remember for sure if the old mags worked in the newer generations.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Where's the picture????
    Daddys Gun.jpg
    If you only knew how long this took me. STICKMAN I AINT, but here you go.
    Also- the mag says 8 rounds..it will hold nine tho. Do the mags marked as nine rounders stick out from the bottom of frame, or are they flush?
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 06-19-18 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    The 1st gen mags held 8 rounds, they had an aluminum floorplate which slid over the tabs on the magazine body. I found them to be pretty durable. I really liked the first Stainless 639 I handled, and took it for my own through all generation changes, until we started seeing so many Glocks that teaching with a DA/SA didn't make sense.

The switch to plastic/polymer floor plates added one round. The new mags work in the older pistols, do not remember for sure if the old mags worked in the newer generations.
    Bingo. Back in the day I had a 39 and 59, the mags were as described.

I honestly don't recall either.

I always liked the 3913LS.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    AH, THANKS brother...you did me a solid!
    Glad to help. Brownells has them too

They are flush fit.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast