Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG upgrade question

Feedback Score

BCG upgrade question

I was curious, would a Palmetto State Armory 5.56 Premium Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - 8779 be considered an upgrade to the bolt carrier Group in a Ruger AR 556? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No. Buy one anyway for your gun drawer.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I doubt it. There are plenty of top tier BCG's out there. If you are wanting to change something for the sake of changing something, get one of them. BCM, Scionics, Colt, even ToolCraft are better choices.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for saving me from wasting $

Feedback Score
    I used to stress over this kind of thing, but then I bought two extra BCG's and several bolts, from well known reputable quality sources. I carry a complete BCG in my battle belt, and two complete extra BCGs in my "go-bag" and three extra bolts to boot in my go bag.

Problem solved.

I train at least three times a month, professionally, and have had a total melt during, of all things, I high intensity drill involving moving, shooting and CQB at the end, it sucked to experience a total stoppage on my AR.

Lesson learned.

Things will go wrong, no matter what, at the very moment you don't want them to.

Word to the wise and all that.

Feedback Score
    To me, an upgrade would be a BCG coated with NiB or melonite to make clean up easier or lightening cuts to reduce weight. There are other benefits to the lightweight BCG but they require complimentary parts.
    Last edited by ToeheadAR; 06-20-18 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    Ive yet to see or hear of a carrier failure(not including gas key).
    My opinion:
    1. Check key staking
    2. Buy spare bolt
    3 use current bolt till failure.
    4. Regularly inspect bolt lugs for cracking/damage while cleaning.
    5. Replace bolt when you see issues, or at 10krds if you want to be conservative.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally, I would buy a Colt, bcm, or scionics bolt.
    As far as melonite, or nib. I didn't find them easier to clean at all. The hardest part to clean on the bolt is the bore, and I didn't find that area any easier to clean than a traditional phosphate/ chrome lined bolt.

The main advantage I see with those bolts is the reduced friction on the rails.

Personally I wouldn't buy any PSA stuff unless I was trying to build a beater range AR for like 300$.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    ......................what is the intended use of the weapon? Keeping it clean, or being reliable? I personally own a PSA "premium" BCG and while no malfs yet (1500-2k rounds), I bought a Tool craft for my next build. For the same price.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use PSA Premium BCG in a couple cheap range guns. One of them had worn out rings in under 1000 rounds, but the other seems to be doing fine.

I don't consider Nitride or NiB to be a better solution over phosphate and Chrome...for barrels or BCGs. If I were in the market for an inexpensive BCG for use on a range gun, I'd also choose Toolcraft.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast