Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCG upgrade question

Feedback Score
    I think the last BCG I bought was a Toolcraft nitrided for $70 on sale from Right to Bear last fall.
    AIM Surplus also has good bcgs in just about any coating or configuration you can imagine. Lightweight nitrided BCG? Yup.
    Free shipping too.

AIM also has bolt back up kits. Complete bolt, firing pin, cam & retaining pin. Not that much cheaper than a budget BCG but small enough to fit in a grip with storage. Having a complete BCG is a fast swap but I’ve never seen a carrier fail. Bolt, yes. Pin, yes.

The best bolt IMHO is the LMT enhanced bolt, I have one, nice piece and has a pretty good reputation, but nowadays I can buy more than a few good bolts for what one LMT runs these days. Colt, BCM & Rock River Arms make better than average bolts as well.

The Ruger BCG is good.
    Last edited by wanderson; 06-20-18 at 19:53. Reason: Correction

Feedback Score
    A few have mentioned Sionics BCGs and I have to second that recommendation. The NP3 coating is incredibly easy to clean and the machining is top notch.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Why are you looking to "upgrade" the bcg that is currently in your Ruger? Does it malfunction? Does it break often? If it isn't malfunctioning or failing, I would leave it alone and buy more ammo.

On a second note, NiB, and nitride coatings are not easier to clean in my experience. At the end of the day I still have to scrape carbon off the back of the bolt, just aft of the gas rings, and I still have to scrape carbon from off of the inside of the carrier. I've gotten rid of most of my NiB bcgs, and replaced them with regular phosphate coated units. I find that hard chrome plated bcgs are easier to clean than NiB, and nitride bcgs. YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Recently, I've just been buying ToolCrafts - a year or so ago everyone was scarfing up their 1B1B6 coded BCG's because they were being supplied to the .mil as replacement/upgrade bolts.

These guys seem to always have them: http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm generally 89.00 to 99.00

These huys are apparently now hooked up with monmouth reloading, another place I've found good deals on ToolCraft C158 BCG's: https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...carrier_group/
    not marked with the cage code, but dang 75.00.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Recently, I've just been buying ToolCrafts - a year or so ago everyone was scarfing up their 1B1B6 coded BCG's because they were being supplied to the .mil as replacement/upgrade bolts.

These guys seem to always have them: http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm generally 89.00 to 99.00

These huys are apparently now hooked up with monmouth reloading, another place I've found good deals on ToolCraft C158 BCG's: https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...carrier_group/
    If a guy is into nitride they also have Toolcrafts for 67.95. https://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-b...0-complete.htm

That's ridiculously inexpensive. I've only ran the Toolcrafts with the cage code, but for 68 bucks these would be worth a go.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

During the panic a few years ago I picked up a couple of new 1B1B6 carriers at a good price from a gun show surplus dealer, only problem was one will not take a bolt, tried a half dozen Colt and FN and not one would go in. Other one would take a bolt but I was always worried they were both rejects that somehow made it to market so both are still sidelined. Kind of soured me on Toolcraft, unless PSA is lying about their Premium BCG specs they should be GTG, have not heard about problems with them.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 06-21-18 at 08:51.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    During the panic a few years ago I picked up a couple of new 1B1B6 carriers at a good price from a gun show surplus dealer, only problem was one will not take a bolt, tried a half dozen Colt and FN and not one would go in. Other one would take a bolt but I was always worried they were both rejects that somehow made it to market so both are still sidelined. Kind of soured me on Toolcraft, unless PSA is lying about their Premium BCG specs they should be GTG, have not heard about problems with them.
    I've only bought complete Toolcraft BCG's.

I agree about the PSA, but, as you well know, your line of thinking is not going to get much traction around these parts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by directimpingement View Post
    If a guy is into nitride they also have Toolcrafts for 67.95. https://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-b...0-complete.htm

That's ridiculously inexpensive. I've only ran the Toolcrafts with the cage code, but for 68 bucks these would be worth a go.
    I would tend to agree, I didn't list it because the bolt is 9310, rather than the mil-spec C158.

I've seen claims that properly heat-treated 9310 is stronger than C158, and so on, but I don't know.

With as many bolts as you see on the market being made with 9310 it is obviously less expensive or easier to source than the proprietary C-158 alloy steel.

Feedback Score
    Ruger's can have an unshrouded bolt carrier.Ruger AR556 BCG.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Personally, I would buy a Colt, bcm, or scionics bolt.
    As far as melonite, or nib. I didn't find them easier to clean at all. The hardest part to clean on the bolt is the bore, and I didn't find that area any easier to clean than a traditional phosphate/ chrome lined bolt.

The main advantage I see with those bolts is the reduced friction on the rails.

Personally I wouldn't buy any PSA stuff unless I was trying to build a beater range AR for like 300$.
    People talk about nickle silicon BCG now. Anybody know anything about them? Also, someone makes a BC with the gas key as a part of the forging (or casting??) so it is not screwed on and staking is not an issue. Has anyone run into this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast