Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Noveske recievers scrapped this week- Help please.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

3 Noveske recievers scrapped this week- Help please.

I'm not talking bad about Noveske by any means. Nor am I trying to voice an opinion of them or there reputation. I own several Noveskes and have never had a problem.

I purchased 3 Noveske stripped Gen 1 upper receivers for a couple of builds. This one particular build has cost me 2 receivers so far.

I am installing a Knights Armament 10.75" URX 4 MLOK hand guard using the shims provided and once I apply torque, the pivot pin lug snaps. This one snapped at 38lbs. the other snapped in the same place at 46lbs. and I was almost at TDC.
    I am using a Wheeler aluminum upper receiver vise block in a 4" vise. No cheater bar, I can achieve TDC at approx. 50lbs of torque which falls in the recommended range.

noveske1.jpg

noveske2.jpg

Any recommendations? Any thoughts? Should I try I different vice block?
    Last edited by elephant; 06-20-18 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    Is this the vise block you used? > https://www.btibrands.com/product/de...il-vise-block/

The pin type vise blocks are not good for installing or removing barrel nuts... They are only good for installing sights and maybe the forward assist and that's about it.

People breaking their uppers with the pin type vise blocks is quite common.

This will do the job. > https://www.btibrands.com/product/de...e-block-clamp/

This will do the job too. https://www.2uniquellc.com/product-p...barreling-spud
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 06-20-18 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry, can't help, but I feel your pain. I don't build but do own a Gen 1 complete carbine that was built when John was still alive.
    Last edited by austinN4; 06-20-18 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I'm not talking bad about Noveske by any means. Nor am I trying to voice an opinion of them or there reputation. I own several Noveskes and have never had a problem.
    It is what it is. I have two complete Gen 1 Noveske N4 rifles that I got back in 2009 and 2011. I recently got a stripped Gen 1 lower that was a piece of crap...I stripped the lower parts off of one of the old N4s to see if the parts kit I was using was junk and none of those parts would fit right either. It was so out of spec I couldn't even get a mil spec trigger guard on it. Ended up breaking an ear off and scrapped the project.

The anodizing on it looked great though.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never installed that particular rail before, but would a reaction rod be a better option perhaps? Brownells and Geissele both offer them. Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a little less expensive than the Brownell's or Geissele offerings:

https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-bar...per-receivers/

I bought one from Botach several years ago, before they were labeled kley-zion and it has worked fine throughout numerous builds.

The 'clamshell' types also work fine.

Now you know the design limitations of the lugs on the upper. Sorry it cost you a couple uppers.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-20-18 at 19:18.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    3rd times the charm:

I have now destroyed all 3 of my Noveske uppers: This last and final one snapped both lugs completely off at 28lbs and I was at TDC. Somethings going on. Is this a bad batch of uppers? I know they have Noveskes mark on them, but who makes these?Made in China? These are just plain junk, 1 upper is an accident, all 3 at less than 50lbs of torque? and I just had to destroy my brand new day old URX4 to remove from upper to salvage barrel.

noveske10.jpg

noveske11.jpg
    Last edited by elephant; 06-20-18 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    I use a Geissele reaction rod anymore, because I had the same thing happen to me on a cheap AR-22 upper using one of the blocks, that hold the upper by pins. They are by far a much better option IMO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow.

I've installed/removed barrels probably 20 times with a DPMS upper receiver block before getting a Reaction Rod.

Either something's very wrong with the Wheeler vice block, or your receivers were definitely defective.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Wow.

I've installed/removed barrels probably 20 times with a DPMS upper receiver block before getting a Reaction Rod.

Either something's very wrong with the Wheeler vice block, or your receivers were definitely defective.
    I think they are defective! I noticed that the barrels were super snug, like almost a press fit. I figured it was the cerakote, but no problem right? Then all 3 uppers break at the exact place. Bad batch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast