Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adjustable gas block or adjustable bolt carrier?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I find this very convenient:
    https://innovativearms.com/war/

To me, "dedicated" also means "severely restricted versatility". I don't like the idea of a gun that doesn't work when you remove an accessory.

The further upstream you choke the gas off, the better, but so many gas block options are not easy to operate. The adjustable bolt carrier doesn't check the gas before it gets into the carrier, it lets it all in and vents the excess. That means more ejection port noise and gas in the face.

The WAR restricts it from getting into the carrier and is super simple to use. It's not the cheapest nor the easiest to incorporate but is sure works well.
    Very cool. I had never seen that before. I will have to check it out on my next build.

No issue with the switch getting in the way or hung up on gear?
    Last edited by themonk; 06-23-18 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    11.5 inch barrel
    Then if I were you, I would get the LMT Enhanced BCG, paired with the Sionics RGP 11.5 barrel and call it a day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    To me, "dedicated" also means "severely restricted versatility". I don't like the idea of a gun that doesn't work when you remove an accessory.
    You make a very good point, Ned. I have a shorty upper tuned to run smoothly and reliably with a suppressor, but it must be cycled by hand when shot without the suppressor. It has an SLR adjustable gas block. It's not as easy to adjust as the WAR upper you linked to, but I can adjust it with an Allen key.

Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    How do you suggest doing that?
    Based on my hands-on experience, I would use an 11.5" barrel, A5 RE, A5H2 buffer, Sprinco green spring, standard full auto BCG from a known and trusted maker, Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring and an SLR adjustable gas block (assuming the gas port is larger than needed for suppressed work). I have not used the WAR upper, but you can trust Ned when it comes to evaluating parts.

To tune the rifle to run optimally with a suppressor, start with a lock back check. I usually start with the gas block opened up so the rifle fires, ejects and locks back on an empty mag. This prevents cases from getting stuck in the chamber. Shooting one round at a time, I close the gas valve until the round ejects, but does not lock back. Then, I open the gas block until it ejects and locks back. Of course, this is performed with the suppressor installed.

To tune an AR to run suppressed and unsupressed, perform the lock back check as above with two differences. First, tune the rifle without the suppressor. Second, tune the rifle so it ejects but does not lock back. Then test it with the suppressor installed. It should eject and lock back. The rifle won't be in optimal tune for either mode, but it will work without being horribly overgassed.

I have also had good luck tuning with a carbine RE and H2 buffer. The H buffer also works well, but the H2 is a little better. I would recommend staying away from a carbine weight buffer as it's too light. Don't let anyone tell you the H2 is a heavy buffer. In fact, the H2 is lighter than the original rifle buffer.

You don't have to use the SLR gas block. Black River Tactical offers micro ports than can be installed in the gas block to restrict gas flow. You can play with different port diameters until the tune your looking for is achieved. The downside is that the gas block has to be removed before a port can be installed or changed.

BRT also offers gas tubes with restricted ports. They are much easier to swap than the micro ports. I haven't tried the gas tubes yet, but the theory is sound and simple

I am currently using the BRT micro port in one upper and the SLR AGB in another. I am quite satisfied with the performance of both as well as the customer service provided by both makers. As I said above, I haven't used the WAR upper or the BRT gas tube.

I haven't said anything about the LMT enhanced carrier. Initially, it worked better than a standard carrier, but it developed a problem that I will not go into until I've had a chance to contact LMT to get it resolved.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why not just use a properly gassed barrel?? It doesn't have ANY moving parts. Remember Murphy.
    I have a few adjustable gas blocks sitting here in my various parts bins, and never end up installing them. A standard gas block does everything I need, though no doubt with a bit less grace. Don't get me wrong, I have some adjustable gas block weapons which came that way, but for my own builds I seem to rely on the more proven siblings.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I can say that a Sionics 11.5" LW, BRT .067" gas port, LMT E-carrier, A5H2, and Tubbs AR10 spring runs fine in moderate temps on 5.56 pressure ammo, unsuppressed, though I haven't put a large number of rounds through it. I'm fairly certain that it would work fine with a smaller port as well. I don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Mist, when you are able, I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with the E-carrier.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No hangups with the switch on the W.A.R. upper but I did take a file to the latest one and take a few sharp edges off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got a couple pf PMs about my experience with the LMT Enhanced Carrier. The trouble I had with it is is suddenly started short stroking. Troubleshooting the problem isolated it to the carrier. Changing to a bolt with good gas rings didn't fix the problem and the gas key bolts were tight. I swapped the BCG and got the AR running for an important range trip. I put the LMT away because I was tired of dealing with it. But the recent PMs prodded me into taking another look at it.

First, I removed the key only to find a layer of oil and carbon underneath. It was definitely leaking. I cleaned the mating surfaces and re-installed the key. I then took a close look at the bolt I'd been using with the LMT carrier. The bolt worked fine in another carrier, so I didn't think anything about it. Today, I removed the gas rings and was surprised to see they were quite worn. I replaced them. Initial test firing showed no signs of short stroking or leaking.

I also have the Enhanced Bolt, one of the earliest ones that didn't work well. I never used it because it had problems with failure to eject due to weak extraction. The LMT bolt uses two extractor springs and they are smaller in diameter than the standard spring. It's the same diameter as one of the springs from a lower parts kit. I think it's the spring for the safety detent. I counted the number of coils of the old extractor springs and got 11. I counted 11 coils of the potential donor spring and found the length would be longer. I cut the donor spring in half and got about 10 coils after some clean up. The springs were longer than the originals and stiffened the extractor significantly. The failure to eject due to weak extraction was eliminated. In fact, I was surprised to see ejection angle and distance was very consistent.

I tested the LMT BCG with the enhanced bolt in my two suppressed ARs on two different lowers. One is equipped with an H2 buffer, the other with an A5H2. The LMT seemed to have a bit softer recoil impulse. It also ran on the same setting as a standard BCG on the adjustable gas block upper. I only had a handful of rounds to test with today, but so far, the results look promising.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I also have the Enhanced Bolt, one of the earliest ones that didn't work well. I never used it because it had problems with failure to eject due to weak extraction. The LMT bolt uses two extractor springs and they are smaller in diameter than the standard spring. It's the same diameter as one of the springs from a lower parts kit. I think it's the spring for the safety detent. I counted the number of coils of the old extractor springs and got 11. I counted 11 coils of the potential donor spring and found the length would be longer. I cut the donor spring in half and got about 10 coils after some clean up. The springs were longer than the originals and stiffened the extractor significantly. The failure to eject due to weak extraction was eliminated. In fact, I was surprised to see ejection angle and distance was very consistent.
    I had two of the enhanced bolts in use and started having extraction issues also. I guess the springs weakened some through use because they got a good number of cycles before they had any signs of trouble. Rather than try to fix them, I just got rid of them. If I end up with another one, I'll definitely try what you're doing.

And regarding the subject of the thread, I prefer the Gemtech and Bootleg carriers for gas regulation when shooting suppressed. I used to use the LMT enhanced carriers a lot also, but I never got the same kind of results I get with the G and B carriers.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why not just use a properly gassed barrel?? It doesn't have ANY moving parts. Remember Murphy.
    This. I dont use shitty barrels or foot long suppressors. My guns run flawlessly and cleanly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123