Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delete

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In Texas, the law has been that if you live in Texas and purchase a taxable item from a seller who does not charge the state sales tax then it is the buyer's responsibility to pay the state a "Use" tax of 6.25%. And, if you live in a city that charges a local sales tax then you owe the city up to 2% of the purchase price. The problem is that no one steps up to pay it, and the state hasn't been able to figure out a way to enforce the law.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/use-tax.php
    Most Texas sellers collect sales tax and remit it to the Comptroller’s office. But when you buy items online or by telephone, email or fax from mail order catalogs, the seller may not, and may not be required to, collect Texas sales tax. If you buy the item for use in Texas, you owe Texas use tax.

For example, if you buy a shirt through an online auction from a seller in Ohio who does not charge Texas sales tax, or if a New York electronics store sells you a camera through its website and does not charge Texas sales tax, you owe Texas use tax on the price of the item.
    Last edited by TexHill; 06-22-18 at 08:46.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally it won't effect me much. The only thing I buy online with any kind of regularity is ammo, followed by mags. Everything else I buy local. I've never seen anything on Amazon that I can't get locally for about the same price. I've only ever used them once to try out a shitty ankle holster. But I can see how this will effect a lot of people and businesses

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This could crush eBay small businesses, and most web based ones as well from the overhead complication. Perhaps VISA, Paypal, etc will include tax calculations for their merchants to enable small business to stay afloat?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On second thought I doubt it would do much harm. On the checkout page you'll probably just add along with the state the city or county with its appropriate tax all of which will total into the full price.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There is a lot of additional expense/headache for the vendor. That is where it will likely hurt the most.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#542d082927aa
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    This could crush eBay small businesses, and most web based ones as well from the overhead complication. Perhaps VISA, Paypal, etc will include tax calculations for their merchants to enable small business to stay afloat?
    I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of folks who line up to provide those services.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Whomever makes the site where you go to check out is who would do it. Don't see why it's so tragic. Those programs already exist and some online retailers already charge state tax.

In my business we have to pay fuel tax to states we don't reside in and it's the same thing. I don't use a program because I don't have a large amount to calculate but companies with hundreds of employees use a program. Quick and easy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12