Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt enhanced patrol rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    LE Patrol issue, or something else?
    Yes, agency wide issue 14.5” SBRs replacing our 6520’s. Boxes and inventory sign out had them listed as 6921EPR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The uppers are available for commercial sale, not just LE. Just a little hard to get.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    Here is my 6933 EPR H2 buffer, pencil profile barrel like 6933, Holosun Red Dot. I love it. A kick ass carbine D8DC6864-FC3E-4063-BE7B-E1CE733882B6.jpg
    Last edited by indianalex01; 11-14-18 at 02:45.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Hate to resurrect an old thread however I’m looking at buying one of three rifles through the sale of my SGL21.
    Colt LE6920-EPR
    BCM RECCE 16
    Armalite M15 TAC16
    All these rifles are within $100 of each other.
    The Armalite has a few things going for it. Trigger is a precision 2 stage, doesn’t need replacing. Adjustable gas block. Buis’s, and from everything I’ve read, more accurate (sub moa). I already own 2 Colt 6920’s. An older restricted marked receiver, M4 configuration, and a 6920-R trooper. I run SSA-E triggers in all my AR’s. I also own an Armalite AR10 TAC18 .308, and a LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. The Colt 6920-R is a 1.25 to 1.5 moa rifle with Hornady TAP 5.56 T2. The other Colt is about a 2moa rifle with same ammo. The AR10 is a .75moa rifle with Federal 168gr GM. The 6.8 LTC is 1moa with Hornady 110gr. BTHP.
    I have never owned a BCM. My friend has a build using one of their uppers. He hasn’t found a load for it yet. 2moa at best. BCM has quite a following and people love them.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdonley308 View Post
    Hate to resurrect an old thread however I’m looking at buying one of three rifles through the sale of my SGL21.
    Colt LE6920-EPR
    BCM RECCE 16
    Armalite M15 TAC16
    All these rifles are within $100 of each other.
    The Armalite has a few things going for it. Trigger is a precision 2 stage, doesn’t need replacing. Adjustable gas block. Buis’s, and from everything I’ve read, more accurate (sub moa). I already own 2 Colt 6920’s. An older restricted marked receiver, M4 configuration, and a 6920-R trooper. I run SSA-E triggers in all my AR’s. I also own an Armalite AR10 TAC18 .308, and a LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. The Colt 6920-R is a 1.25 to 1.5 moa rifle with Hornady TAP 5.56 T2. The other Colt is about a 2moa rifle with same ammo. The AR10 is a .75moa rifle with Federal 168gr GM. The 6.8 LTC is 1moa with Hornady 110gr. BTHP.
    I have never owned a BCM. My friend has a build using one of their uppers. He hasn’t found a load for it yet. 2moa at best. BCM has quite a following and people love them.
    Of the 3 listed, Colt or the BCM. I'd lean towards the BCM for the midlength gas system because in 2019 there's really no reason not to go midlength on a 16" barreled carbine. I'd also encourage you to take a look at the Colt LE6960CCU which is basically a midlength EPR, making it a toss up. It'll come down to minutiae like which rail or furniture you prefer and whether or not you want to spend the $100. Unfortunately, I don't have any frame of reference on the Armalite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, yes I looked at the CCU. Being it’s the first Colt using a mid length, I didn’t want problems. There were a few reviews that remarked at how quickly the hand guard heated up and became too hot to hold? I honestly don’t feel or see (accuracy) any difference between the Carbine and mid length systems. I’ve never had a Weapons related failure using the Carbine gas system or a failure attributed to that system. Which ever rifle I buy it’s getting a SSA-E trigger or their new super single stage.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nearing 4000 rounds down the pipe of my 6960 as of this week since it was purchased new in January of 2018, nary a problem. The mid length gas system has functioned great and the heat thing doesn’t exist and I don’t shoot with gloves.

That said, of the options you’ve identified, either the BCM or Colt would be solid choices.

Thanks, yes I looked at the CCU. Being it’s the first Colt using a mid length, I didn’t want problems. There were a few reviews that remarked at how quickly the hand guard heated up and became too hot to hold? I honestly don’t feel or see (accuracy) any difference between the Carbine and mid length systems. I’ve never had a Weapons related failure using the Carbine gas system or a failure attributed to that system. Which ever rifle I buy it’s getting a SSA-E trigger or their new super single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Nearing 4000 rounds down the pipe of my 6960 as of this week since it was purchased new in January of 2018, nary a problem. The mid length gas system has functioned great and the heat thing doesn’t exist and I don’t shoot with gloves.

That said, of the options you’ve identified, either the BCM or Colt would be solid choices.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey thanks for sharing your experience with the CCU. So those reports about the hand guard heating up, not so much? What was your rate of fire? How is your accuracy and what load does it like the most? Both my Colts really like the 5.56 75gr Hornady TAP T2.

I like the new Armalites since Strategic Armory Corp. bought them. Strategic Armory owns Surgeon Rifles, McMillan Rifles, Nexus Ammo and AWC suppressors. All very high end stuff. I have one of the new AR10 TAC18’s and a M15 LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. I didn’t touch the AR10 (beautiful rifle that tack drives and been 100% reliable). I I did replace the bolt in the LTC with an LMT Enhanced 6.8spc Bolt. I also replaced the trigger in the LTC with a SSA-E. The barrels on the Armalites are 4150, chrome Moly Valadium, double hand lapped chrome lined. Not worried about the barrel. I know the bolt is 158 Carpenter Steel, however these are batch tested and I’m not sure if the extractor is tool steel, so I would replace the bolt with a Colt or BCM bolt. All that being said I can get a LTC (6lbs!) in 5.56 for $750. With upgrading the trigger (which I’d have to do to the Colt and BCM) the bolt, adding a B5 butt stock and BCM GF Mod 3 pistol grip, I still come out $300 less than either the Colt or BCM. The Armalites in reviews are much more accurate than either the Colt or BCM. I guess that is attributed to the double hand lapping of the barrels? So an Armalite LTC is another option. At 6.0lbs it’s the lightest rifle. I know there isn’t allot of love for Armalite, but mine are a couple of nice rifles.

I like my Colts 6920’s. I like the BCM specs but I don’t like the accuracy reports. I know in practical accuracy the small .5-1moa difference isn’t noticeable. So I’m on the fence with these three still. The auction on my SGL21 doesn’t end until next week so I still have some time to ponder.

I’m welcoming anyone’s input and experience any of these rifles. Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    There aren't any problems that I've with my own or heard about. I guess one of the advantages of putting one out 15 years too late with guys like Ken Hackathorn, Mike Pannone and Daryl Holland consulting is that it's pretty well sorted. I personally haven't had any issues with the handguard heating up either.

Also, the advantages to midlength gas isn't accuracy, it's reliability. NSWC confirmed and quantified what everyone already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by NWSC
    For low temperature testing, carbine-length weapons had 333.3 mean rounds between failures (MRBF) compared to 836.1 MRBF for ambient temperature testing and mid-length weapons had 562.5 MRBF compared to 1993.8 MRBF for ambient temperature testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for sharing that report. I hadn’t read that before. I respect the findings from NWSC and SOCOM. I just got off the phone with Armalite, nice people and very honest. The gentleman I spoke too told me the gas blocks on Armalites use 3 set screws. No dimples on the barrels, no red locktite. Looks like I’ll be dimpling my Barrels and Red locktiting my two Armalites when I get home. I also spoke to Colt via internet. They informed that the CCU and 6920’s use two tapered roll pins and drilled barrels to secure the gas block, the method I prefer as it’s bullet proof. Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles. I want to thank you for your feedback. I will be purchasing a CCU next week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast