Thread: World Cup 2018 - any OTHER watchers?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

World Cup 2018 - any OTHER watchers?

Brazil 2 - Cost Rica 0

ETA: I must have been reliving a deployment . Not Croatia!!!

Both goals in in stoppage. Should have been 15-0.

I was never a soccer fan. In East Texas, we played football, baseball, and hunted from the time we could either walk or hold a .22 or 4-10. Stationed in Germany I thought soccer was lame bevauae there was no direct contact. Until I played a full game. I both sucked and was sucking wind by the end of the game. I was a serious stud muffin back in those days, and it still kicked my butt. But still never watched it. Married a Brazilian and all that changed. I watched my first World Cup when it was in Germany maybe 12 yrs ago. Brazil won and I was officially a fanboy ofThe Beautiful Gamefrom that moment.
    I still get aggravated at all the drama and I know many people can’t get excited over a 1-1 game, but to each their own.

And then there is Neymar Jr. dude is blonde and flamboyant, but the kid has mad skillz. Grabbing a ball with both feet and flipping it backwards over your head AND the dude in front of you? That’s the spontaneous creativity I so enjoy.

And I really expected to see my beloved Red, White and Blue rep’n he USA, but apparently we just sucked hind tit this year and failed to quality. Lost a perfect chance to slip some SOG guys into Russia on the soccer team. What a wasted opportunity!

So is anyone else watching World Cup? Surely I’m not the only gun totin redneck that likes soccer!
    Maybe I am!
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 06-22-18 at 12:10.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I know many people can’t get excited over a 1-1 game, but to each their own.
    The 2014 Brasil vs Mexico was 0-0 and one of the most exciting games of that cup.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Soccer was my sport. I was never great but I love the game. I don't watch any sports on a routine basis including soccer except for the World Cup. I relish it. The game well played is a beautiful thing.

I hate the "gamesmanship" as they call it trying to draw fouls, etc. but I just ignore it.

So no, you're not alone.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Soccer was my sport. I was never great but I love the game. I don't watch any sports on a routine basis including soccer except for the World Cup. I relish it. The game well played is a beautiful thing.

I hate the "gamesmanship" as they call it trying to draw fouls, etc. but I just ignore it.

So no, you're not alone.
    Did you see Brazil -Costa Rica this AM??

CR is no weak team!

no weak team... I’m also surprised a bit by Russia . Two decent wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am from a town where Friday night the town closes so everyone can go watch high school football. Always though soccer was gay (parts still are) but now having a 11 year old step son that is pretty good has opened my eyes.

He plays year round and plays at an elite level for his age. It’s very expensive sport as well. Traveling 2 hours one way 3 days a week and every weekend gets OLD.

But we have tracked from Texas to Colorado, Florida, New Jersey for him to play.

He is a keeper and it’s fun to watch them play at this level. Soccer is like many sports in one of you sit in the sidelines. You get soccer, a little (real) football, MMA with the parents, and a whole lotta flopping kids.

I can’t stand how soccer builds kids to flop at the smallest impact with someone. It’s so fake and drastic that can’t help but make fun of the little wankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    They never taught my kiddo how to flip on the ground. I saw some of that used in a more strategic way today with Costa Rica as they were in stoppage. CRC was doing hat. Driving the Brazilian coach crazy and I just thought.. oh NOW you have a problem with Dramafloppin’??
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Huge fan here. I was happy to see the best #10 with the initials of LM in the cup show up Messi and Argentina yesterday (;

I was bummed about Iceland, I really wanted them to move on to the next stage.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Since my wife's family is from there, I usually go for the Netherlands if the U.S. isn't in it. Unfortunately, they're not in it either. I'll probably either go for England as a long shot, or Germany.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee