Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel re-profile question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I said on the first page that I know of a shop, you can just PM me if you want an answer...
    I'm not willing to mail a several hundred dollar item to a guy/small shop out of state but I do appreciate you trying to help.

Feedback Score
    The FSB has to be removed to do any re-profiling of the barrel.

ADCO has no problems with this procedure.

Though I would just wait for the Brownells barrel to come back in stock.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 06-23-18 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Barrel re-profile question

I had ADCO re-profile a 308 AR barrel under the handguard numerous years ago. It turned out well, and I have no doubt they would be able to remove and re-install the FSB.

Their site probably shows their fee to remove and install it.
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-23-18 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'm not willing to mail a several hundred dollar item to a guy/small shop out of state but I do appreciate you trying to help.
    This is limiting your options for no reason. If insured, whats the difference between sending to and buying from?

So you plan to have someone reprofile and refinish your barrel that you dont trust to remove and reinstall a fsb?

Edit: rainier arms might be ablebto do it if you dont trust ADCO or Marvin.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-23-18 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This is limiting your options for no reason. If insured, whats the difference between sending to and buying from?

So you plan to have someone reprofile and refinish your barrel that you dont trust to remove and reinstall a fsb?

Edit: rainier arms might be ablebto do it if you dont trust ADCO or Marvin.
    No, I wouldn't send it to any guy/small shop for anything unless I've seen years of good feedback.

You mean insured shipping? I'd certainly pay for insured shipping.

I'll check adco. But as suggested, Brownell's is back ordered on the assembly I want. I've read the barrels they've been using are decent to excellent.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    No, I wouldn't send it to any guy/small shop for anything unless I've seen years of good feedback.

You mean insured shipping? I'd certainly pay for insured shipping.

I'll check adco. But as suggested, Brownell's is back ordered on the assembly I want. I've read the barrels they've been using are decent to excellent.
    Well you didn't ask for feedback, you just straight up said that you wouldn't do it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I would get one of these and have a FSB addedhttps://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod97908.aspx.
    Or wait for these to come back into stockhttps://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod97909.aspx.
    Add this stripped upper w/out M4 rampshttps://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-st...feedramps.html
    Last edited by sig1473; 06-23-18 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Could an a2 profile barrel with fixed sight/gas block be milled to more of an A1 profile in front of the gas block without removing the block?
    Answer: NO, not w/o removing the FSB.

If you want an A1 FSB barrel, your best bet is to buy an A1 barrel (Brownells) and have it drilled/taper reamed for a FSB. That is the shortest, and best bet to get what you want, no FSB removal/re-install involved, no re-profiling, no re-finishing.

I'd go with Marvin Pitts/Nefarious Arms. Small one-man shop who knows what he is doing. I've had him work on at least two barrels, excellent work each time.

Edit to Add: I have had Marvin reprofile a barrel, and re-parkerize/phosphate finish it. He did an excellent job, so he'd be my choice, whichever route you go, OP.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 06-26-18 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys I appreciate the help.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure I know who wake recommended and he is one of the best in the biz. I have used a few well known shops and his is consistently the best. Service is great too. You really are limiting your options by not sending it somewhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast