Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid practice ammunition

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Solid practice ammunition

What do you use?

So far, I’ve used various, but primarily Federal 55gr .223 FMJ. Would love to find some good alternatives. The pennies matter, though I’m not interested in anything that would cause damage to the gun or fail to cycle properly. If $0.28-0.30 per round is the best to expect, no worries.

I’d also love to hear recommendations for 77gr “practice” ammo. I’ve got good Black Hills stuff for when I want to get good precision practice or keep in mags for HD, but would love to find alternatives that would perform similarly for a lower price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The best 55gr ammo I’ve found for bulk purchases is Wolf Gold. It’s made by a Taiwanese subsidiary. The rumor I’ve heard is that it’s the ammo used by the Taiwanese military. Brass cased with sealed primers. Seems to be loaded to 5.56 velocities and decently accurate. Brownells sells it for $300/case and with their constant discount and free shipping coupons, it’s not uncommon to be able to buy a case for $270 shipped.

Can’t help you with 77gr ammo.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    for 77 grain, magtech and imi can both be found in the $.55 or less arena. I like wolf gold and men 556 for my practice 55 grain stuff. Magtech also makes a 62 grain fmj non-penetrator that I love shooting with.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At some point I'm going to throw together a junk AR out of spare parts and a bargain basement barrel and use it to practice with the cheapest crap ammo I can get. At the moment though I really don't distinguish between practice ammo and "stock up" ammo and basically use M193 for everything, primarily Federal, Prvi, and IMI. Most of my ARs are sighted in for M193. Although I do have one scoped AR zeroed for IMI 77gr, which I shoot out of it fairly often.

Feedback Score
    My .02 ... Wolff Gold is great ammo and is available a great price. I prefer not to shoot anything but brass cased stuff. The good folks at SGAmmo have it for around .275 per round, plus shipping. Not sure how the Internet tax thing is going to change the picture here though, but for now...that's about the best price I can find. Also pays to keep an eye on Sportsmen Warehouse, with their free shipping and discounts, you can often get Wolf Gold for a good deal from them.

As others have pointed out, if you have the means to swap out your barrel, steel case is the cheapest way to go. I have had issues with it clogging up my DI systems though since it is pretty dirty stuff.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    What do you use?

So far, I’ve used various, but primarily Federal 55gr .223 FMJ. Would love to find some good alternatives. The pennies matter, though I’m not interested in anything that would cause damage to the gun or fail to cycle properly. If $0.28-0.30 per round is the best to expect, no worries.

I’d also love to hear recommendations for 77gr “practice” ammo. I’ve got good Black Hills stuff for when I want to get good precision practice or keep in mags for HD, but would love to find alternatives that would perform similarly for a lower price.
    You never said for what kind of training.

The ammo Im using for "UP" drills at 25 yards is going to be different from the ammo Im using to bang steel at 400 yards.

Feedback Score
    On the other hand, I've "banged steel" at 400 with Wolf Gold as well...just sayin'

If is *training* it is training and a hit is a hit is a hit. You practice the fundamentals and get the best results you can. Competition? Something else. Real world? SMK 77gr from a match grade barrel for distance shots when it absolutely must be there, on target.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You never said for what kind of training.

The ammo Im using for "UP" drills at 25 yards is going to be different from the ammo Im using to bang steel at 400 yards.
    I don't think this point could be said any more succinctly.

I have ammo I shoot just for pictures.

I have ammo I shoot for steel targets.

I have ammo I shoot at distance.

I have ammo I shoot for CQB/ CQC training.

I have ammo that stays loaded in mags ready to go.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Everyone will need to determine what "good enough" means for them, under any circumstance. Debating the point is probably not a very fruitful exercise. To each his own. Whatever you use, train well, train often, train productively. And God bless.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Practicing fundamentals, looking for clean center mass hits at 7-50 yards, sometimes 100-200 if I drive an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast