Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer detent pin broke

Feedback Score

Buffer detent pin broke

It finally happened—I broke a Colt detent in my 1980 16” SP1 carbine. Nothing major was damaged, but my range trip was cut short. I was using Federal XM193, but I don’t think it matters.

Now I have a spare parts kit (never had one before that I took to the range) but have looked at HK & Leitner-Wise “Heavy Duty” detent.

Anyone with any experience with the heavy duty or HK version? I’m not sure the HK will work with Colt.

Alternatively, I replace springs every 5k rounds, but never had a maintenance schedule for pins—anyone with insight on this matter?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    It finally happened—I broke a Colt detent in my 1980 16” SP1 carbine. Nothing major was damaged, but my range trip was cut short. I was using Federal XM193, but I don’t think it matters.

Now I have a spare parts kit (never had one before that I took to the range) but have looked at HK & Leitner-Wise “Heavy Duty” detent.

Anyone with any experience with the heavy duty or HK version? I’m not sure the HK will work with Colt.

Alternatively, I replace springs every 5k rounds, but never had a maintenance schedule for pins—anyone with insight on this matter?
    The only time the buffer touches the pin is when the receivers are open or separated. All the pin does is retain the spring. It serves no other purpose. I' can tell you the quickest way to break one... Break open the gun with the bolt locked back.

Feedback Score
    I was shooting & the gun locked up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did your buffer tube loosen causing the pin to pop out?

Feedback Score
    The tit sheared off

Feedback Score
    The detent pin should not be contacting the buffer during shooting, but in some rifles it may which can cause this breakage. Maybe this happened to the OP. You can check for this, when closing an upper onto a lower, you should be able to see the rear of the bolt carrier contact the buffer, pushing the buffer off of the pin. With this in mind, the buffer detent pin isn't a part that should wear out or need PM replacement schedule, or to be heavy duty. Does your buffer have evidence of hitting the pin over and over?

Feedback Score
    If I understand correctly, the detent in your gun lasted 38 years. I am unaware of how many rounds have been through it or if it is modified. However, if my 1978 SP1 detent broke, I would order a new colt detent and spring from brownells for $9.00 and carry on. Actually, I have a few detents and springs in my spare parts.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FYI, the buffer detent, or lack there of, does not impact function of the rifle at all. You just have to remember to catch the buffer with a finger everytime you shotgun the upper and lower.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    FYI, the buffer detent, or lack there of, does not impact function of the rifle at all. You just have to remember to catch the buffer with a finger everytime you shotgun the upper and lower.
    Unless the tit ended up somewhere that it wouldn't fit. I am not sure we have heard the rest of the story yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Unless the tit ended up somewhere that it wouldn't fit. I am not sure we have heard the rest of the story yet.
    I agree. I can't see how that locked up the gun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast