Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding My First Dedicated Weaponlight; Need Helpful Advice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Adding My First Dedicated Weaponlight; Need Helpful Advice

Thanks for clicking, hopefully you can help.
    I threw this up on TOS but I appreciate the more experienced feedback this forum provides.

I currently have two AR15's but I would like to add a weapon light to one of them. My primary use for this will be to add a light for a possible class that I would like to attend.
    Other than that it would be mounted during daylight range trips and indoor home defense.
    The Weapon In Question

As you can see it's a 14.5inch barrel with a red dot, so theoretically the longest shot I will be taking is about 300 yards on a human silhouette. I have no idea if a light will project that far but that is the furthest I can shoot right now. (My range is a 400yard limit)
    I would like to mount this to the side of my weapon and my thumb with my forward grip in order to actuate the light.

Possible Options

Surefire M96

Image Courtesy Of LaRue Tactical
    This particular light seems very rugged and solid. Also it looks as if it would be very bright. My concern is I would like to have the whole rear end be a push button, rather than the smaller push button found in the image above. Also this light appears to be rather heavy, but I am not certain. I do not want to use any type of tape switch, I would like to have the whole end cap be a single push button if possible.

Surefire Scout LED Light

Image Courtesy Of LaRue Tactical
    This light has the advantage of being small and light. My concern with this light is that I might have trouble hitting the push button on the back with my thumb, if I were using the forward grip. Also, I am somewhat concerned about the abuse the light could take. I want to use this for a class and it will also be on my gun for multiple range trips. My weapons tend to get banged around alot and I am wondering if this would hold up?

Final Thoughts
    Like I said this will be mounted on a my rail. If anyone has any other options for lights than be rail mounted and have push button actuation which could be used in conjunction with a vertical grip that would be great.
    Also, I am not certain of the actual model names for the lights I listed, I merely saw some lights that looked interesting as I was shopping around. If anyone knows the full details of these lights (For example, I've seen people talking about "Surefire Scout M600C"), that would be great as well.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by BushmasterFanBoy; 10-27-08 at 20:12. Reason: Outdated Picture
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    How inflexible are you about the options that you listed?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have gone through a few evolutions of weaponlight ideas and my current one is simple, cheap, light, bright, and versatile!

A VTAC or VLTOR offset light mount that puts the light nice and tight at 11:00 for easy activation by either hand in conjunction with your vertical grip by using your strong hand thumb, or if you are going lefty you can use your weak hand thumb by reaching over the rail (see link below for pics)

With these mounts you can add any 1" light you have lying around. Or you can buy a new 6P or G2 LED and put a good (Malkoff!) LED drop in for the brightest light possible. On one CQB-ish carbine I mounted a Gladius for the extra light options. Any quality (SF/Malkoff/Gladius for me) LED light should take your beatings in stride. If you go LED you definitely don't need a shock isolated bezel, saving further bulk and weight. You can also add a clicky tailcap if that's what you want.

I have owned and used both the lights you mentioned as well as the much more expensive SF integrated vertical grip and I find this current solution to be more versatile in a smaller, lighter and cheaper package.

Here's a link to a vertical grip shooting technique that really makes this setup shine, and could improve your shooting ;-). Inside this thread there is another link to a fuller discussion.
    Click here...

Enjoy!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-27-08 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    How inflexible are you about the options that you listed?
    Pretty flexible.
    I don't have any experience with any of these and am open to what people have found that works.
    I just found them quickly browsing the LaRue site. Like I said, I would prefer a rail mounted light that could be actuated using my thumb, combined with a forward grip. (If that makes any sense). I also would like a light that could withstand going through a class, and be durable enough to be banged around. I don't want to be going through these like disposable razors.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Pretty flexible.
    I don't have any experience with any of these and am open to what people have found that works.
    I just found them quickly browsing the LaRue site. Like I said, I would prefer a rail mounted light that could be actuated using my thumb, combined with a forward grip. (If that makes any sense). I also would like a light that could withstand going through a class, and be durable enough to be banged around. I don't want to be going through these like disposable razors.
    How married are you to your VFG and where it is located?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How married are you to your VFG and where it is located?
    That picture isn't current.
    Here is a current picture (Just snapped it):

I do like my vertical grip and would like to keep it if at all possible. However, if there are noticeably better options then I will try it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Here is a thought:

Buy an SF X300. Move your front sight back enought to where you can mount your X300 at the 12:00. Keep your front sight in the up position.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here is a thought:

Buy an SF X300. Move your front sight back enought to where you can mount your X300 at the 12:00. Keep your front sight in the up position.
    I saw that on this site before.
    I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I really do enjoy the unobstructed view you get with the sights flipped down. I can only imagine the extra stuff that would get shoved into my sight picture with an X300 in place.

Any ideas on the side mounted light that can be actuated on the rear with a "clicker"? Or does the 12 O' clock X300 reign supreme enough to warrant the crowded sight picture?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My opinion is that the rear sight up is optional but the front sight up is mandatory unless you use a magnified optic. Just my opinion, do as you will.

Another very good option is a SF Nitrolon in an VLTOR mount.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what price range you are lookin at but anything Surefire will serve you well. I've had my eye on the new LED Scout light. Also, I'd go with the offset mount if you are looking to use the VFG/thumb ativation. Pentagon weapon lights aren't bad either. I have several for work and have not had a problem with them yet. They are a little easier on the wallet compared to SF. But if money is no issue I would recomend SF first. Also, you need to decide if you want/need incandecent or LED. Finally, as far as lumens try to stay between 65-120 range. Anything too bright will hurt your eyes indoors especially when room clearing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast