Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding My First Dedicated Weaponlight; Need Helpful Advice

Feedback Score
    The two best lights Ive used so far are the Surefire M500B and the M910A. Imagine that two totally different lights for different purposes. One mounted on a Noveske N4 Light with a Eotech. The M500b is mounted on a LMT with a trijicon. For short range I fun a VFG for medium to long range I don't.

Tried the x300 at 12 for a short period ran into issues with activating the light consistently and activating it accidentally ditched the whole deal and went back to the M910A. It was a good concept but it needs a tape switch.

As far as where to mount. No matter where you mount its going to have disadvantages. 6, well shoot over something , 12 shoot under something, 9 gotta move your gun farther out to use the light, 3 is the same way on the opposite side. 3 and 9 can be hard to activate so they get moved to the 11 and 1 position, still the same issues with moving the gun farther out just easier to use.

Now your making entry into a house or moving around your house in a SD scenario so your gun gets tilted 90 degrees and the stock is back over your shoulder (personal preference tactic), well crap that optimum light position just moved 90 degrees.

Where you mount your light and how you activate it is all personal preference, no way we can tell you what works for you. Except that Pmags work of course

That being said my M910a is becoming dated and heavy, I'm starting to look at other options. (waiting for tape switch for x300!!!)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    I picked up a few SF scout lights back in the day for a steal of a deal, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford them.

While I cannot comment on the new bulbs, the older model had the most spill of any light I've ever played with, but didn't have any throw past your driveway.
    Yes, thats been my experience too.
    NFA Addict - Banned on Arfkom!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Miksits View Post

Tried the x300 at 12 for a short period ran into issues with activating the light consistently and activating it accidentally ditched the whole deal and went back to the M910A. It was a good concept but it needs a tape switch.

As far as where to mount. No matter where you mount its going to have disadvantages. 6, well shoot over something , 12 shoot under something, 9 gotta move your gun farther out to use the light, 3 is the same way on the opposite side. 3 and 9 can be hard to activate so they get moved to the 11 and 1 position, still the same issues with moving the gun farther out just easier to use.

That being said my M910a is becoming dated and heavy, I'm starting to look at other options. (waiting for tape switch for x300!!!)
    the 300 has two available tape switches to work with the special switch plate, a pad, and a rail mounted pad.

and at 12:00 you don't have a disadvantage when shooting under something as you've stated. your irons or optics sit higher than the light. so IF you're aiming, then you have ample room for the light to work.

Grant's pic from another thread:

Last edited by theJanitor; 10-30-08 at 11:32.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Miksits View Post

Now your making entry into a house or moving around your house in a SD scenario so your gun gets tilted 90 degrees and the stock is back over your shoulder (personal preference tactic), well crap that optimum light position just moved 90 degrees.

Where you mount your light and how you activate it is all personal preference, no way we can tell you what works for you. Except that Pmags work of course

Yup, all super practical realizations. I even agree on my M910A... That's why I like the new LED drop-ins so much! The X300 has a great beam and size factor, I just don't like the non-pistol switching options.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The new replacement head for the Surefire Scoutlight definitely is brighter and seems almost perfect. I also have several M900 foregrips that I use as well. Some like them, some don't. My new LMT PD15 gun feels real good with the M900 on it and the weight isn't bad at all.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Call me crazy, but I recently bought an E2D LED for a Dedicated Light.

Now I just can't make up my mind on a mount.

I'm torn between the Surefire M78 Grant's got, or the Vltor Scout Mount.

Last edited by IroquoisSnakePlissken; 11-01-08 at 22:45.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=IroquoisSnakePlissken;241876]SnippedQUOTE]

CRAZY!!!! joking.

Actually that is a viable option. if it works it works. You can actually build equal/better lights from handheld lights and converting them to weapon use. Just make sure they have a shock isolated bezel.

Feedback Score
    The E2D throws a good amount of light. I also like that the "running light" low power option still lights up the night, but does so for 76 hours straight!

It's also very compact and lightweight.

I'll post mounted pics if I ever quit being indecisive, and pick a mount.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Capt Kirk, a word of caution.....................

I have 2 blackhawk night ops Gladius. One I purchased back in May. I was so
    impressed with it as a handheld that I purchased another one from Grant
    in August along with a Vltor-offset mount and mounted it to a DDOmega rail on a CDM4LE for a Bushido Tactical Carbine course I took in September.
    I had the light mounted to the carbine all day (8:30 till about 7:00pm). We
    broke for dinner then began the night shoot. About 5min into the night shoot
    the Gladuis started failing me. It would come on dim (as if in constant on mode with reduced output) or not at all. I know I had put fresh batteries 2 days before the course and locked it off. I became frustrated and changed out the batteries and checked the light during a short break. Still the problem persisted. When I got home upon checking the unit it wasn't the batteries
    and inexplicably the light started working properly again.
    I've been using it as a handheld since every night when walking my dog.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that the light is not rugged enough to
    withstand the recoil of the carbine.
    It has been replaced with a Surefire G3 in a Vltor scout mount.
    So you might want to check it with some serious round count if it is for defensive use. I would approximate I shot 350-400 rounds in the day before
    the night shoot.
    YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilant2 View Post
    I have 2 blackhawk night ops Gladius. One I purchased back in May. I was so
    impressed with it as a handheld that I purchased another one from Grant
    in August along with a Vltor-offset mount and mounted it to a DDOmega rail on a CDM4LE for a Bushido Tactical Carbine course I took in September.
    I had the light mounted to the carbine all day (8:30 till about 7:00pm). We
    broke for dinner then began the night shoot. About 5min into the night shoot
    the Gladuis started failing me. It would come on dim (as if in constant on mode with reduced output) or not at all. I know I had put fresh batteries 2 days before the course and locked it off. I became frustrated and changed out the batteries and checked the light during a short break. Still the problem persisted. When I got home upon checking the unit it wasn't the batteries
    and inexplicably the light started working properly again.
    I've been using it as a handheld since every night when walking my dog.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that the light is not rugged enough to
    withstand the recoil of the carbine.
    It has been replaced with a Surefire G3 in a Vltor scout mount.
    So you might want to check it with some serious round count if it is for defensive use. I would approximate I shot 350-400 rounds in the day before
    the night shoot.
    YMMV
    Hmmmm...E2D Led is sounding better and better

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast