Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870P vs. 590a1?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

870P vs. 590a1?

Planning on getting one or the other, and based on what I have heard so far, leaning a certain direction already. Gun with be Vang Comp'ed (without ports, though) and probably purchased directly through Hans Vang's shop.

What I am mainly interested in:

Which one is least likely to take a dump on me and need minor work.
    Which one is least likely to take a major fight-stopping dump on me.
    Which one will last the longest. (longest service-life with buckshot/slugs)

I am not worried about cross-bolt safety vs. tang safety, etc. as that is more a user-preference thing.

I have an 870 Wing master in 20ga from the 70's and am familiar with the 870. I just bought a 590a1 SPX as a gift and plan on shooting it some myself this coming week. I will make my own call on the ergos.

Mainly, I am wanting opinions such as "I am an armorer for XXXX and we ran XXXX but they fell apart so we now run XXXX" or "I see a lot of XXXX in my shop with broken such and such" or something of the like.

Previously, I have been a complete Benelli fan. However, I am just not liking the Novas I have fondled, and I want a pump action for a KISS shotgun. I have a decked out M4S90 (Surefire M80, 7-round mag, C-stock, etc. etc. etc.) and I love it for the range and mulching small bushes, produce, etc., but I want a no-nonsense high-end pump gun.

PS> If you feel I that the 870 is the way to go, is there any reason I should NOT go with Vang Comp, and instead go with Nighthawk or someone else who uses his barrels? I am very sold on the Vang Comp barrel system (sans ports), even though Flite Control now exists. It does well without the ports being drilled, and I would really like to get great patterns with other buckshot as well.

Also, does anyone have a picture of a full Vang Comp gun? He uses a bead-blast and then a bluing type finish from what I understand, but I have yet to find a GOOD hi-res photo of what this finish looks like. Would appreciate. Even if it's just a close-up of the barrel or something.

So far my idea:

870P + LPA sights w/integrated rail and tritium front post + Vang Comp barrel work (except ports) + a +2 Vang Comp extension + Stainless follower

-or-

590a1 + Vang Comp barrel work

Yes the 870P will cost more. I don't care. I plan on buying once, crying once, and over a life-time of use the price difference will dissipate from memory but choosing the 2nd best will be a constant downfall.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-16-11 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Both of them are great shotgun.

Couple things that 590A1 is better than 870P would be, better safety location and finish. 870P will rust easily if you don't take care of it.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm not an armorer but I have some experience and training with some of the US Army's well used 590A1s. The extent of my use has been during breacher courses and a few beer shoots to expend extra 9 ball. However the shotguns themselves have seen a lot of use and very minimal maintenance. On the plus side the finish holds up well and there I've seen little to no corrosion. The big negative is that many of them have loosening safeties. The switches themselves become loose and can break off. I don't know if that would be an issue on better maintained and cared for weapons. While I actually like the 590A1 a little better that was enough to make me pick up an 870P for my one and only shotgun. I think a used 870P with a cerakote job is a tough proposition to beat for a hard use shotgun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had the 590 with ghost ring sights. It came from the factory with a canted front sight, so I had to send the barrel back for a replacement. The stamping on the side of the barrel left an "imprint" that showed up as a rough spot inside the bore. It had the magazine extension making it sort of unwieldy. I ended up selling it.

I like the action of the Mossberg guns, because the receiver bottom is wide open for quick reloading. If the operator should fail to push a shell into the magazine far enough, the ammo will simply fall out instead of backing out over the shell lifter as can happen on 870s. I still have a Mossy 500 Turkey gun with 20 inch vent rib barrel...good shotgun. Many a fox has hit the dust with the Mossy and a load of Winchester Double XX number 4s.

I own a Remington 870 "Special Purpose" that I bought used. There have been no issues with it. I disassembled it and gave it a thorough cleaning, and it has worked well. I like the steel receiver versus the Mossberg's aluminum, but I don't view it as a very important distinction.

problem solved

I own both in a tactical platform and would have to say you pose a very good question. I agree with Remington's finish will rust after time over the Mossberg but that is a simple fix. I would say you would be good purchasing either one. Good luck on your purchase

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Vang offers roguard. Nighthawk offers permakote. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I will give you my thoughts on the matter. The mossberg has dual extractors the 870 has not The mossberg has a thumb activated safety the rem-not , me personally I like to have constant contact with the fire arms safety this is possible with the mossberg not with the rem. I also prefer the unloading of a mossberg compared to a rem on a mossberg all that is required is to push in the shell holder on the magazine feed tube compared to the rem where you have to thumb away the shell lever then the shell holder simultaneously to unload the magazine tube .
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 07-17-11 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I prefer the location of the controls and the openness of the loading gate on the Mossberg. Can’t go wrong either way, both are proven badass street howitzers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Both will go bang when you press the trigger, however, I truly believe the 870 P is the better firearm.

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another vote for the Mossberg as long as it's the A1. The damn things are built like an M1 Abrams. I use to hate the twenty inch barrel but a reduced LOP stock negates this.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast