Thread: Need some light mounting options for standard handguards...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Need some light mounting options for standard handguards...

I generally run a VTAC offset with Surefire G2L and Z49 switch on all my rifles. I have this set up on 4 other rifles and it works great. However, I just picked up a nice deal on no frills carbine (A1 sights, 14.5" barrel with pinned Phantom) that will be serving as a truck gun. Normally I don't mind springing for a rail but the idea for this gun is to keep it cheap!

So, I need to get a light on it but I don't want to spend a fortune on a rail. I would like to be able to use my preferred set up (VTAC offset with G2L) but I am open to other suitable options. I would also prefer that the light ends up mounted around the 10-11 o'clock position on the handguards so I can activate it with the thumb of my support hand.

So far I have seen light mounts that mount to the front sight post but these seem bulky, though they do put the light at my preferred position. I have also seen rails that bolt to the handguards but the light would not be level due to the tapered M4 handguards. I could also drill the handguards and mount a small rail at the 10-11 o'clock position but, again, it would not be level.

Am I missing anything? Do you guys have any ideas? Any pics of similar set ups (lights mounted with standard handguards)?

Thanks,
    Matt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    I
    I have also seen rails that bolt to the handguards but the light would not be level due to the tapered M4 handguards. I could also drill the handguards and mount a small rail at the 10-11 o'clock position but, again, it would not be level.
    Those mounts compensate for the handguard taper... at least the 2 brands I've tried. And i've even just bolted a hunk of rail to a set of handguards in the past. The taper was a non issue.

I'd get the GG&G m3 light rail just for the fact that it's metal rather than polymer. But I do have a polymer version on one of my guns.

I've run an M3 light on these rails as well as a G2 in a polymer mount. Both are fast attach which is nice.
    Last edited by markm; 10-30-08 at 10:03.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Perfect! Thanks.

Do you happen to know which brands account for the taper?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This Streamlight mount has the notches in it to allow mounting at any position on the handguard, I have mine at 11:00. I'm not sure if it has offset in it, but I have no problems with mine pointing the light straight. This plus a 1" ring mount will get your G2L mounted nice and tight and simple and cheap!

Enjoy.

Dennis.

Streamlight Tactical Illuminator Mount

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. The stream light and the GG&G both do.

I just remembered the mount I used for my G2. It was the TDI mount. It worked with the GG&G mount but it wiggled badly. Thus the GG&G mount is best for M3 lights or x300s.

The polymer chunck of rail I mounted was also TDI. It worked great with the TDI fast attach mount but it wasn't snug to the front sight base like the VTAC mount.
    Last edited by markm; 10-30-08 at 12:28.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks much.