Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any popular production rifles with reliable detachable mag systems?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Are there any popular production rifles with reliable detachable mag systems?

I've been looking around for a production rifle that comes standard with a detachable mag. Several of the well known makers have an offering with this feature, including Remington (700 SPS DM), CZ (550, 527), Tikka (T3), Thompson Center (Icon), Savage (116), etc.

But I've been talking to some guys who customize rifles, and it seems like the consensus is that the detachable mag setup on many of these lower-priced production rifles is unreliable at best, and tends to compromise the strength of the rifle.

Their advice in a nutshell is, when buying these lower-priced rifles, don't bother with the detachable mags or even a hinged floorplate. Just get a single-shot, or if you want a repeater get a standard internal box magazine. Or spend the extra money to get a higher-end aftermarket detachable mag system installed.

Are there any other perspectives on this issue? Specifically....

* Has anyone has firsthand experience with owning a detachable mag on one of these popular production rifles, and if so, has it been reliable and performed well for you? If yes, then how heavily have you used the rifle and mag system?

* Does anyone have firsthand technical knowledge (i.e., say as a gunsmith) of any of these detachable mags on the popular production rifles, and do you think that any of them are reliable or worth having? Or do you think, as the other guys told me, that I must either go to an aftermarket magazine system, or skip having detachable mags entirely?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I owned or have owned Tikkas, Remingtons, Sakos...all with det mags. A remington 700 det mag was the only gun to ever give me problems (feeding issues). The Tikkas and Sakos have never given me problems. I can see where a smith would look at the plastic tikka mags and see an issue but they seem to hold up in a hunting environment. I have a sako m995 TRG-S .270 that has about 450-500 rounds through it and has taken plenty of deer sized game without a feeding issue. All guns were in common hunting calibers (.270, 25-06, 30-06, .308).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Badger is all you need

Feedback Score
    I have a Savage 10FP with detachable mags. I haven't had any issues with it all. It is mostly a bench/target gun however, and doesn't see a particularly high volume of fire nor much abuse.

I will say that the magazines do not inspire confidence when handling them... they don't give you the impression of precision and robustness. But, like I said before there has always been a round waiting when the bolt closes so I won't hold it against them.

Feedback Score
    Badger and AI. Best mag system currently produced for a bolt gun.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    Accuracy International, done ....enough said
    If you're caught, no one rescues you. If you're killed, no one knows you.
    Remember to be polite. Be professional. But..... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tikka and Sako - no problems, ever - even under fast reloads and stress (in Africa). Flawless performance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
    Badger and AI. Best mag system currently produced for a bolt gun.
    +1, you get what you pay for.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the Browning X Bolt. The mags appear heavy duty compared to the other sporting types.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Steyr SBS pro hunters in the chamberings I have seen (.308 and .300WinMag) both operated well. If it's for a hunting rifle, and you want a detach mag the Steyrs are not a bad option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast