Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Finder Advice

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Range Finder Advice

I'm going to be shopping for a range finder soon, or asking for one for Christmas , but I've never used one before. I'll mainly be using it for practice, out plinking, and to verify distances as I learn to range with a mil dot reticle. It seems like a small, lightweight, pocket sized handheld model would suffice, but I don't know anything about them and how to use them. I'm starting my research now, but I thought I'd ask around here too.

What should I be looking for? What features should I consider a must, and or unnecessary? What are the brands, models, and price points I should be looking at? Ofc I want the most bang for my buck, but I like quality and believe you get what you pay for, so won't skimp for the sake of a few bucks.

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What are the longest ranges you anticipate lazing??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I do a lot of long range shooting and hunting and have used a lot of rangefinders (Bushnell, Leica, Gunworks, Vortex, Sig, Terrapin, Vectronics, etc), and I would say the best bang for your buck would be the Sig Kilo 2200MR. It will range out to 3,000 yards in perfect conditions (I've hit 3,340 with mine once), but will regularly range out to a mile with ease. It also has a fast scan mode and angle range compensation. You can get them for around $400.

Unless you need a rangefinder that will tie in all of your ballistic data and output your drops in MRAD/MOA, this is the best bang for the buck by far, in my opinion.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/kilo2....html?___SID=U
    Last edited by B Cart; 10-16-18 at 18:28. Reason: added price

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What are the longest ranges you anticipate lazing??
    I'd say 2500 meters or so. Mostly in the 300-500 meter range currently, but I do have a standing invite to joint a long range shooting team, so a Ruger Precision Rifle may be in my near future, and then we're talking a mile plus.

Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I do a lot of long range shooting and hunting and have used a lot of rangefinders (Bushnell, Leica, Gunworks, Vortex, Sig, Terrapin, Vectronics, etc), and I would say the best bang for your buck would be the Sig Kilo 2200MR. It will range out to 3,000 yards in perfect conditions (I've hit 3,340 with mine once), but will regularly range out to a mile with ease. It also has a fast scan mode and angle range compensation. You can get them for around $400.

Unless you need a rangefinder that will tie in all of your ballistic data and output your drops in MRAD/MOA, this is the best bang for the buck by far, in my opinion.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/kilo2....html?___SID=U
    I've got a Romeo 4T that I like a lot, and was looking at the Sig offerings as a starting point. Sounds like possibly a finish line too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Friggin Sig has it together... between the Romeo sights, range finders, and really nice suppressors... MPX sub guns, they're killing it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Friggin Sig has it together... between the Romeo sights, range finders, and really nice suppressors... MPX sub guns, they're killing it.
    I tend to agree. And don't forget about the P365, awesome little pistol!

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    If you are just plinking and setting up targets, consider the BallisticsARC app. It has a map feature that uses GPS coordinates to calculate distances. It also calculates angles.

This could also work if you are hunting from a stand and research your shooting lanes in advance.

For $15 it’s a cheap way to get started.

More info: https://geoballistics.com/#x-content-band-2

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I also have a kilo 2200mr and it works well. Definitely a good purchase.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Leica and Vortex are GTG.

I just got a Sig Kilo 1400 BDX for my walking-around gear, and it is also GTG. The Bluetooth app interface works okay, and it’s suggested dope is pretty close.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Leica 2000

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast