Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas port location thoughts

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm waiting for dual gas ports to come into fashion. If done correctly, I can see it working, though honestly I'm not sure it would ever give up enough benefit to be worthwhile.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    So I’ll resurrect this to ask…

What is the minimal distance from port to muzzle that is reliable? I’ve seen various Dissipator configs with seemingly different lengths past the port.

Does this change based on gas system length or port size?
    Yes, it changes as the gas system length increases because the pressure at the gas port drops significantly as it gets further from the chamber.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Yes, it changes as the gas system length increases because the pressure at the gas port drops significantly as it gets further from the chamber.
    That is expected. Do expound…

That was purpose in this resurrection…no one has answered the first question. Lol
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That is expected. Do expound…

That was purpose in this resurrection…no one has answered the first question. Lol
    Well the port to muzzle would also depend on overall barrel length too since the pressure drops with length. I've seen a rifle system cut to 16" with the port opened up to .090". Anything needing a larger port than that is getting silly to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Well the port to muzzle would also depend on overall barrel length too since the pressure drops with length. I've seen a rifle system cut to 16" with the port opened up to .090". Anything needing a larger port than that is getting silly to me.
    Like I was saying; minimum port to muzzle length for each gas system. We all know there are a lot of factors but keeping the back end of the gun and ammo to a relative constant because they are the easiest to adjust if needed.

It’s an interesting discussion.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It’s an interesting discussion.
    I like staying in the center of the fairway and not pushing it too much. The interesting thing is how badly "they" screwed up the carbine gas system shorties with oversized ports. O-rings and H3 buffers and all that nonsense to fix stupidity.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess that the 10.3 Colts have one of the shortest port to muzzle lengths. But when you don't let a moron spec the port too big, they run just fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    18” rifle, 14” mid, 10.3” carbine.

Yes some examples of shorter will run, but not with a reliable margin in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yes some examples of shorter will run, but not with a reliable margin in my opinion.
    I agree. Like I mentioned, a guy I know from the Sheriff's Office Armory took an extra Colt Rifle upper and cut it to 16". His worked, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that for serious use.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Yep, properly ported those are the realistic numbers, saw a thread here recently that was akin to pissing in the wind. Lots of knowledgeable folks been doing shit a long time have been telling us what is what, I believe them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm waiting for dual gas ports to come into fashion. If done correctly, I can see it working, though honestly I'm not sure it would ever give up enough benefit to be worthwhile.
    Bill G already has three phased gas ports in one of his newer short barreled rifles. I haven't seen the gas tube setup but supposedly it makes a short barrel (9" if I recall correctly) more reliable.

I learned quite a lot while watching this livestream. The phased array gas port topic comes up at around 1:01:35

Some of the key points for those who won't watch.

- .MIL (SOF I assume) is using 6ARC
    - G recently won a contract for a precision rifle
    - 3 phase gas port for short barrel reliability
    - He is a talker and very proud of his products
    - Sulfer can be added to barrel steel to increase machineability
    - The El Jefe rifle was produced for an LE contract and looks kind of cool at that price point

This video is a lot more than a new product introduction and is worth the time investment to watch.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-27-23 at 09:23.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast