Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FN Scar?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If MSRP on an FN FS2000 is still $2,800 I wouldn't be surprised if the SCAR is close to $3,000
    I don't think the FS2000 MSRP is $2800. I saw some in the gunstore yesterday that were around $2300. The FS2000 has had one MSRP increase since it was first released.

The FS2000 is a case in point in that when it first came out you saw them selling in places for absurd prices (like $2200-$2500 when I believe the MSRP was like $1900-$2000). After a while the demand subsided and all of the people who had to have one had one, so the guns price dropped to MSRP and below. This took at least 4-6 months. I don't know if the SCAR will be available in the same numbers as the FS2000. But now you have the spector of legislation hanging over the gun, so I would not expect the price to behave the same as the FS2000s did.

Feedback Score
    I'm working on an a SCAR article for Tactical Weapons and my FN contact has informed me that MSRP for the SCAR16S is $2246.73. Take it for what it's worth.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    This is crazy. More than $1,500 for either L or H is insane. The manufacturing process of these rifles couldn't possibly be any more complicated and/or expensive than similarly built weapons domestically, which are rarely exceeding even $2,000.

Is FN the new HK?

It is most fortunate that our domestic manufacturers can produce a similar rifle for less than half of the SCAR's cost. Logic defeats desire.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    This is crazy. More than $1,500 for either L or H is insane. The manufacturing process of these rifles couldn't possibly be any more complicated and/or expensive than similarly built weapons domestically, which are rarely exceeding even $2,000.
    And how would you know this, kal?

Let's please keep the speculation to a minimum.

Feedback Score
    And how would you know this, kal?
    FN is a big company. Big businesses like FN tend to have an easier time manufacturing products at lower costs than smaller companies.

Now how can a company like, for example Robinson Armament, create a totally new and proprietary rifle (XCR) using very similar manufacturing methods as shared with the SCAR and still be less than $1,500?

Both the XCR and SCAR use extruded receivers, you got your barrel, small parts like the trigger group, pins, then you have your internal components, furniture, and lowers. BTW the XCR lower is aluminum forged and milled, the SCAR is polymer. Please do NOT tell me the price for a SCAR lower is higher than a XCR lower.

Now we can compare the SCAR to many other rifles that are CLEARLY more expensive to make than the SCAR yet do not share a similar price tag. But based on how the SCAR is built in comparison to a similar rifle built almost or completely the same way, with the supposed SCAR MSRP being $2,700 and similar rifles being priced at $1,200-$1,600, I speculate that there is no way the SCAR L or H cost more than $1,000 straight out of the factory.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a funny idea that a totally new rifle, next gen with piston gas system, 50K barrel life, completely adjustable stock, integral rail, etc etc and people don't want to pay more than a current AR!??!?!

I Noveske Recce has an MSRP close to $2000 but people think an FN SCAR should be $1500

While I think they should sell me a L and H for $100 each I think people are being silly on the price.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Kal is likely right in much of what he says, though I think we've wandered a bit too far afield here. It does little good as a practical matter to dwell on price issues when the real issue is one of availability. Once (/if) these rifles hit dealer shelves in quantity, the MSRP should rapidly become a meaningless figure, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them selling for $300-400 less than suggested retail.

Of course, if we find ourselves in a bunker mentality when that finally happens, and/or are under siege politically, then I suppose anything can happen. As an economy of scale issue, there is a certain logic to fewer potential owners paying higher prices if they see that the window of opportunity for ownership is going to be a short one.

FN's primary customer base is not private, so their concern for our market is likely tempered a bit by their belief that we will pay more for best quality (i.e. the same weapon our SOCOM boys are using). Whether that is true or not, this entire price discussion would probably be better suited to the Masada/ACR than to the SCAR, as the former was destined for private hands since the very beginning of the project.

Chief
    Last edited by Army Chief; 11-11-08 at 04:46.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    FN's primary customer base is not private, so their concern for our market is likely tempered a bit by their belief that we will pay more for best quality (i.e. the same weapon our SOCOM boys are using). Whether that is true or not, this entire price discussion would probably be better suited to the Masada/ACR than to the SCAR, as the former was destined for private hands since the very beginning of the project.

Chief

Not anymore. The drama starts on page 14. Magpul responds in the middle of 15. Bushmaster's pushed any possible release date to the end of 2009 as they want to get the ACR ready for some new trials.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...161050&page=15
    Last edited by RyanS; 11-11-08 at 09:03.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

I posted this on another forum because I saw these same concerns..

I don't really understand the "I could get another gun cheaper" concerns. Obviously you could get a fine rifle MUCH cheaper than this. You cold get a Colt 6920 for $1400 or a LMT for a few bucks cheaper. You could even put together a nice kit gun with "chart approved" parts for even cheaper. You could also get a Romanian AK for even cheaper and still have a fine semi auto defense rifle. An SKS would also be pretty serviceable.

I think the people who buy these SCARs are going to be people who already have a lot of other nice guns. I will probably pick one up myself.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    This is a funny idea that a totally new rifle, next gen with piston gas system, 50K barrel life, completely adjustable stock, integral rail, etc etc and people don't want to pay more than a current AR!??!?!

I Noveske Recce has an MSRP close to $2000 but people think an FN SCAR should be $1500

While I think they should sell me a L and H for $100 each I think people are being silly on the price.
    You hit the nail right on the head and I could not agree more.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast