Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CMMG .22lr conversion - a brief review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    mini update:

I was able to put another ~300 rounds down range last night, and I tried two additional brands of ammunition.

Winchester 36gr copper plated (333-round value pack)

-experienced a moderately high rate of failure to go bang.

Aguila Super Extra 40gr copper plated

- could not get even one round to fire (loaded/tried ~40 rounds).

Weird, the Aguila works like a champ (and is pretty accurate) in my Ruger MKIII 22/45.

It looks like I'll continue the experiment with various types of Federal/American Eagle ammo, as that consistently works so far.
    So, if the Aguila works in your Ruger pistol, and it doesn't work in your CMMG-kitted rifle, then there's something wrong with the CMMG kit or your rifle, right?

What would cause these failures-to-fire? Is the hammer not hitting the firing pin hard enough? Is something wrong with the firing pin in the CMMG kit?

Curious minds want to know,

Ben

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    So, if the Aguila works in your Ruger pistol, and it doesn't work in your CMMG-kitted rifle, then there's something wrong with the CMMG kit or your rifle, right?

What would cause these failures-to-fire? Is the hammer not hitting the firing pin hard enough? Is something wrong with the firing pin in the CMMG kit?

Curious minds want to know,

Ben
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the CMMG kit, or my rifle. If I had to guess, I think Federal/American Eagle ammo has a softer primer. I did a bit of research, and Spike's recommends using Federal ammo with their conversion kits/dedicated uppers. I'm checking to see if other manufacturers say the same...

In my limited experience, .22lr pistols/rifles can be picky about ammo. A friend of mine also has a Ruger pistol, and his won't fire my Aguila ammo either it's just one of those things. Try several brands to see what works and then run with it.
    Last edited by lindertw; 11-09-08 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you going to sell them? I can't find them on your site...

Ben
    Yes we are.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man I want one of these. Hopefully they become available again soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zippygaloo View Post
    My question is in regards to barrel life (chrome lining, etc)? With cheaper ammo you're more likely to shoot higher quantities down the barrel. So correct me if I'm wrong, but in essence aren't you shortening the life of your barrel by shooting the .22LR.
    I don't know anything, but it seems to me that the much reduced pressure/speed/weight of the .22lr cartridge/bullet would only do a small fraction as much barrel wear as 5.56.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Man I want one of these. Hopefully they become available again soon.

We have them in stock and should get them on the website soon.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We have them in stock and should get them on the website soon.

C4
    Well when you do, I shall order one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know anything, but it seems to me that the much reduced pressure/speed/weight of the .22lr cartridge/bullet would only do a small fraction as much barrel wear as 5.56.
    Yeah you're not going to see as much barrel erosion due to the way lower pressures and friction. You could see increased lead fouling due to the jacketed bullets, but that's easily solved with a strict cleaning regiment.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-13-08 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    Just took my CMMG .22 kit out this morning. Lubed it up real good and ran 300 rounds flawlessly out of my 1/7 LMT upper. POI was very similar to 5.56...close enough to hit golf balls at 30 yards without adjustment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keesh View Post
    Just took my CMMG .22 kit out this morning. Lubed it up real good and ran 300 rounds flawlessly out of my 1/7 LMT upper. POI was very similar to 5.56...close enough to hit golf balls at 30 yards without adjustment.
    nice!

I stopped by the range on my way home from work today and put another ~200 rounds of Fed bulk pack .22lr down the pipe. I'm now able to load the mag w/25 rounds without issue, and it functioned well with the Fed bulk pack ammo.

The unit is filthy - I've got some cleaning to do tonight...

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast