Thread: Need Barrel Opinions

Feedback Score

Need Barrel Opinions

I'm doing my first build of a gun I want to be a general purpose plinker, occasional varmint gun, and informal target gun. It will have a civilian theme with little or no M4 influences.

I'm trying to make a choice on barrel options. I'm going with a Sabre fluted stainless HBAR contour like this:

I live in NYS, so I'm forced to have either no compensator, or one that is pinned and welded.

My choices:

1. The 16" and have the comp. permanantly installed (17.5" overall)

2. The 18" cut back to 17.5" with a recessed target crown (17.5" overall)

There are no major cost differences between either options.

The comp. is Sabre's "Gill" comp, which has received mixed reviews...generally everybody is luke-warm about it except Mas Ayoob, who is sort of being sponsored by Sabre apparently...

Another concern of mine whether the barrel nut will pass over the comp. in the event I want to change the free-floating handguard in the future.

I would value your opinions on this...

Karl

Feedback Score
    Forgive me for not being extremely knowledgeable on state gun laws, but are flash suppressors are forbidden in NYS? If so, I'd stick with the straight 17.5" barrel. 5.56mm doesn't have significant enough recoil to benefit much from a muzzle compensator unless you're going for the fastest possible rate of aimed fire.
    Last edited by TheActivePatriot; 11-07-08 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    I am leaning that way also, despite a conversation with Sabre this afternoon telling me that the comp. outside-diameter is 22mm, while the barrel nut inside diameter is 1.00" (25.4mm).

What he did say was that there is no BATF ruling that the Gill comp. is not a flash hider...BATF does not make such rulings since the AWB sunsetted...so, it could be legally questionable in NY.

I think I'm GTG with the 18" cut back and given a target crown...too bad that the 18" is back-ordered...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    if the flash hider is pinned, the gas block ain't coming off. so worrying about the barrel nut is kinda pointless. use a DD Omega rail and you're golden
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Good catch, but, I didn't mention the gas block as an issue since I didn't plan on using the one that ships with the Sabre barrel anyhow.

I already have a two-piece gas block on order (DPMS/Koelbl) since I need a top rail for a BUIS front sight...

The NYS legal issues are intimidating, though, unless I want to substitute a permanantly-attached FSC556 comp which is one of the few (only?) with a BATF- compliance letter, but that adds another $100.

I think cut and crowned is the best way to go, especially since I'm not trying to emulate a military configuration.

But, I'm still all ears...

Feedback Score
    A brake, while possibly extra loud for bystanders, will help protect the crown from damage.

Feedback Score
    Karl,

Perhaps I could be of help. I could machine you a cover for the end of your muzzle that you could then have pinned in place.