Thread: Choosing a Laser-Aiming Device

Feedback Score

Choosing a Laser-Aiming Device

I'm trying to finish bolting badass baubles on my blaster, and I'm stuck, since I'm running out of space.

I'm seeking to avoid the "scorpion effect" of items mounted on the side rail panels: I'd prefer to leave one blank.

I have my RDS Mounted on the handguard (before chastisement it is free-floated). It's a Trijicon Tripower in a Bobro Cantilever mount. I'd mount a CVL, but I don't know that there's enough clearance between the bottom of the sight to accomodate the CVL, so I'm probably going to rule that out.

The bottom rail is hogged up by a VFG/M3X.

I have a Surefire E2D LED that I'd like to mount as a primary, using the battery-hungry M3X as a backup. But, back to the topic: I'm trying to figure out a way to have my cake and eat it too.

I want to mount the E2D as my main weaponlight, but I'd like to mount a laser without creating a horribly wide profile on the weapon.

I'm looking at the LaRue Double-Stack Light Mount, and I think that would solve my needs, since I'm fairly certain it will accomodate the E2D.

That being said, does anyone know what commercially available lasers will fit in the Double-Stack Mount? I'm not willing to go Chi-Com so we can rule that out right away.

I thought LD made a little module that was rectangular-shaped, relatively compact, that I might overlook the "scorpion factor" for, but I can't figure out what the model designation was, nor can I find it anywhere.

I'm not 100% hell-bent on a laser, but I think it would be a welcome addition to my current setup, so long as I can add it without interference.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you want visible, IR, or both?
    I think you are thinking of the O-TAL (I believe that's what it's called).
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I'm sticking with Visible since I don't foresee ever scoring NVGs again.

It's not the OTAL, it's a small rectangular module about the width of a standard rail, and about 3/4" off the panel horizontally.

I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was. It's probably irrelevant anyway, since I don't see it on their site anymore.

They do manufacture a small SF 72 type unit, but it's 1.1" which I believe is too big for the LaRue mount.

Feedback Score
    Found it!

LD's MR-2. Of course, I don't think they exist anywhere.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Laser not on the rails

Or you can put on an AR-2A. It's in-line with your sights or red-dot as well (and will be in-line with your bullet's trajectory rise and fall). I carried one on my M4 when we first went over the line during Shock-and-Awe.

I zero'ed it for 200 yards -- it shines exactly where my Aimpoint aims. With the 635 nanometer Super Power Point module it's nice and bright without NVGs. Add NVG's and you've got the best of both red-dot and projected beam.

Last edited by sinister; 11-09-08 at 20:01.