Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rings Too Tight?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've had new gas rings that were so tight that the gun wouldn't go into battery on an empty chamber if I closed the bolt slowly (which you'd never do when actually chambering a round anyway), and once when after changing the rings the bolt wouldn't even fit back into the carrier until I'd basically doused everything with Slip EWL.
    They loosen up pretty quickly with firing though.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 04-10-19 at 04:52.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I think we need hand lapped gas rings, hmmm---
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Forgive me since I have been laboring under the analogy of automobile rings, but why would someone NOT lube the rings on the AR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doc, the proper way to lube an AR is to place a few drops of oil in the exhaust ports of the carrier. That right there tells you all you need to know when you hear "Don't lube the gas rings!"
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    LOL ... YEP!

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Doc, the proper way to lube an AR is to place a few drops of oil in the exhaust ports of the carrier. That right there tells you all you need to know when you hear "Don't lube the gas rings!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty much anything that rubs against each other metal wise should be getting a bit of lube...the RE excluded, but some might and do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    They're virgin rings, of course they are going to be tight. Lube and running them hard should loosen them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Pretty good advice for anything virgin
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Good advice, except for the lube. Don't lube gas rings.

I guess the innuendo didn't translate...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What is the difference between putting oil directly on the rings or putting the oil in the exhaust ports where it contacts the rings anyway?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    What is the difference between putting oil directly on the rings or putting the oil in the exhaust ports where it contacts the rings anyway?
    Doc - Your good.

Here is what the masters of mil-spec, the U.S. Army says about the subject:

071-100-0004 (SL1) - Maintain an M4 or M4A1 Carbine

5 c (4) Generously lube outside the bolt body, bolt rings, and cam pin area.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Our armorers would walk by and ask us to pull the bolt carrier back about an inch and then spray CLP out of a big squirt bottle multiple times directly on to the rings.

We all died because our weapons malfunctioned.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast