Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best paint to use to paint rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post

That's funny, aside from CARC I wasn't aware of any "MilSPec" spray paint.
    Yea the Flower Power paint it is the beat all I have paint everything from ak's m4's helmets.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i searched for it then, and i just searched for it again... what the hell is flower power paint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i searched for it then, and i just searched for it again... what the hell is flower power paint?
    I can't remember the exact manufacturer the can looks like it fell out of RainBowBrites purse.

U can find it at Surplus stores or it you know any mil motor pool guys it is use to touchup Vehicles and equipment.

Feedback Score
    I may be new to the AR forum, but this I do know something about. I know it's a little pricey but I would never use anything other than Duracoat on an expensive rifle. Actually I would never use anything that is not a two part, or catylized coating (there are others like Duracoat but I haven't used them). Anything but, is not desighed to stand up to the mildest of solvents. If you take your time and prep it properly, you'll have a finish that could last as long as the original coating.
    Why would you spend a grand or more on your rifle and use a $4.00 can of paint on it that will just peel off. If you don't care about durability or how much work it will take to get it back off, use whatever you want.
    Last edited by my65swede@yahoo.com; 11-12-08 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by my65swede@yahoo.com View Post
    Why would you spend a grand or more on your rifle and use a $4.00 can of paint on it that will just peel off. If you don't care about durability or how much work it will take to get it back off, use whatever you want.
    'cause its a pain in the dick to put on. sounds like you've done it a time or two- you're in my neck of the woods, wanna do mine? I'll supply paint for yours and mine, if you'll paint yours and mine.

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of KG products Gunkote. It is a spray and bake finish. The temps it cures at will not harm the metal in your rifle. Plastic is likely another story.

It is easy to apply over parkerized finishes. However, they must be completely degreased and an airbrush is the preferred method to apply the paint. Other surfaces may need to be sand blasted first.

It's not for everyone and there are some start up costs, but the finish is very durable, weather resistant, and adds some lubricating properties as well.

Just to compare, I painted an FAL with black spray paint and a 1911 with Gunkote. Both were painted over fresh parkerizing. The 1911 finish lasted much longer and held up to solvents. I eventually stripped the FAL and gunkoted it as well.

I've just finished a barrel, fh, and shaved gas block. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

--usp_fan

Feedback Score
    Krylon is all we've ever used. We never cared about how it resists solvents or # of coatings or frankly how it looks. It's a rifle and it's meant to be shot....A LOT. If you want it to look pretty and new again...spray it again.

Rich

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    All I've ever used was krylon. The last one I stripped down took 6 cans of carb cleaner and a scrub brush to clean the paint off, IMHO that is plenty durable enough.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    so your saying if u want it to last use durakote or similar, if u want to redo it in a few months use krylon. i would spen the extra and do the durakote

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been using Duracoat for about 5 years, I have used Krylon and exterior grade spray on paints before, but there is no protection that Duracoat provides.
    I spray alot of guns that spend time in rain and snow that increases rust, Duracoat (once properly let to cure) will be very durable and protect the metal from the elements.
    Easy prep and application, if you have the room and good ventilation (also needed for Krylon anyway)

You pattern is what will make it look good, so the order of the colors and 3M work is important.
    Last edited by .308holes; 11-14-08 at 20:37.
    "-If your afraid to fight, then I guess you never will. "

Remembering Brother's I have lost -
    Sgt Rick Timbrook - EOW 30OCT99
    Deputy Jason Mooney - EOW 19OCT07
    Officer Todd Bahr - EOW 06JUN08

- IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast