Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 Wylde vs 5.56 Nato

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9X19mm View Post
    I’m with you on the 5.56mm NATO chamber/bore. That’s what all my other AR rifles are made for. Now it seems that a large percentage of the higher end ARs are sporting the .223 Wylde, and before I drop some coin I just want to see if there is a legit benefit or just a passing fad. I never heard of it after many years of shooting.
    What do all of your other AR rifles not do that you expect the new boutique rifle to do??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any improvement generated by a Wylde chamber will require match ammo or preferably handloads tailored to the weapon. It isn't a match chamber, so you shouldn't expect it to act like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Most of my experience is with the 5.56 chamber shooting strictly factory ammo. My guns don't seem to show a measurable difference between the 5.56 and 223 ammunition. The only exception is a older Colt heavy barrel in 5.56 that shot better with Black Hills 223 ammo yielding an occasional 5/8 moa 5-shot group. That was years ago when I could see well!

The shooting I do typically maxes out at 200 yards.

In the end you'll be well served with either 5.56 or 223 Wylde chambers unless you'll get into the minutiae of reloading tailor-made loads.

Feedback Score
    My first AR will put Hornady 55gr FMJBT bulk bullet handloads into 1 MOA, and I don't go to any extremes loading them. I can ring a MGM flasher at 300 yards every time, it actually gets boring. Wylde may be the hotness but I'd never see the difference with the shooting I do. 5.56 chambers are plenty good enough IMO.

Feedback Score
    Get the .223 Wylde if it's what you want- it will work fine. As others have mentioned, it's typically associated with precision builds, but I haven't heard of any downsides to the chambering so I suppose you could argue that it is objectively better than a 5.56 chamber, even if it's just a minute difference. That being said, you'd also be fine with a 5.56 chamber too.

I would focus on getting a good rifle; if you get a solid rifle, the chambering isn't really terribly important.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    .223 Wylde has been around for a good 20 years. You must have been shipwrecked with the S.S. Minnow.

Quote Originally Posted by 9X19mm View Post
    Hey all...
    Been away from the shooting world for awhile and been wanting to get back with a new M4... and now I see the latest and greatest thing seems to be .223 Wylde chamber. Some say even more accurate than a standard 5.56mm NATO chamber/barrel?

Anyone have any first hand experience for or against?

I’m deciding between a NEMO Arms and Falkor... both 16” SS barrels in .223 Wylde. And yes, I have already used the search function and I didn’t come up with any concrete evidence one way or the other. And no, I’m not interested in building my own for less $$$... thanks in advance.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade0100 View Post
    Get the .223 Wylde if it's what you want- it will work fine. As others have mentioned, it's typically associated with precision builds, but I haven't heard of any downsides to the chambering so I suppose you could argue that it is objectively better than a 5.56 chamber, even if it's just a minute difference. That being said, you'd also be fine with a 5.56 chamber too.

I would focus on getting a good rifle; if you get a solid rifle, the chambering isn't really terribly important.

Thanks everyone. That's what I wanted to find out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    .223 Wylde has been around for a good 20 years. You must have been shipwrecked with the S.S. Minnow.

I don't get out much.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    .223 wylde has even sluttier dimensions than 5.56 nato.

Feedback Score
    In 2008 I bought a heavy barreled Rock River with the Wylde chamber. In the right conditions I have put 3 in a .25” group.

Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast