Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: XM16E1 barrel erosion study (1966)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Every military that issues a Glock.
    Long gun, not sidearm.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Pretty sure all the Swiss Sig 55x rifle barrels are nitrocarburized. All of mine have been.
    Commercial models imported into the U.S.? Yep. Can't speak for the actual Swiss military models.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Commercial models imported into the U.S.? Yep. Can't speak for the actual Swiss military models.
    True. However, it seems unlikely that they would create a special production of barrels just for export. And from what I read, that is not the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    True. However, it seems unlikely that they would create a special production of barrels just for export. And from what I read, that is not the case.
    Well, there's always HK and the MR556 as an example of what I'm referring to (finished here to be sure, but certainly not treated/lined at all). The genuine Deutsch ones are chrome lined.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, there's always HK and the MR556 as an example of what I'm referring to (finished here to be sure, but certainly not treated/lined at all). The genuine Deutsch ones are chrome lined.
    Good point.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Long gun, not sidearm.
    I knew that, just felt like being obstinate. I was suprised, to be honest, that I couldn't find references to military nitride barrels.

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    PSA has this description of their "Premium" carbine barrel:

"Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability."

Does the double thick chrome lining have any effect on accuracy?
    I have not read anywhere where the double thickness chrome hurt or helped accuracy. The best bare steel barrels will always be more accurate than the best chromed barrels. The truly high end match barrels are neither chrome lined or hammer forged.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have not read anywhere where the double thickness chrome hurt or helped accuracy.
    The true answer that nobody will like is, "It depends." There's nothing inherently wrong with thicker chrome lining, but it depends on the bore you're starting with and the consistency of the plating in the barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Goog around. Someone did a head-to-head comparison of Daniel and FN barrels. The bore finish on the DDs were much smoother and the barrels shot tighter.

Not saying a chrome-lined barrel originally designed for machineguns can't be accurate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234