Thread: Upper Suggestions for DMR

Feedback Score

Question Upper Suggestions for DMR

This is my first post here and I first want to say great site! I've been lurking and running searches and learning a lot thanks to all of you. I've been active on other boards for nearly 10 years but have been away from ARs for the last 10 or so. I just picked up a Stag Model 2 M4 style carbine and like it a lot and will be applying the upgrades (BCG and staking) suggested in the stickies, and a Geissele DMR trigger set to 4-4.5lbs. All of my SD weapons from pistols to rifles are set in that range except the M1A.

Here is my question. I have my little carbine for fun and SHTF CQB, but I feel the need for a designated markman rifle. Something between my M4 and my M1A, and a lot easier to scope than my M1A. I have a DoubleStar lower. What I think I want is a flattop upper with a 20" 5.56x45 match barrel (fluted would be nice) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I looked at the Stag Model 6H upper and love the accuracy potential but don't love the weight of a 24" bull barrel.

This will have to serve double duty of SHTF CQB and 300yd tack driver so balance and weight are a factor. This will get a Burris XTR 1-4x24 Xtreme tactical scope (and flip up BUIS) so I don't need to reach out 1000rds. Is there anything you folks can suggest or should I just suck it up and buy the 6H upper? I had considered doing this in 6.8 (7H upper) but I have too much 5.56 ammo to add another caliber right now. My budget for the complete upper is $600.

My goal is to build something like this S&W...

Feedback Score
    Ok let me ask this. How would a Rock River Arms Nation Match or Predator Pursuit upper do at this task?

Feedback Score
    my suggestion would be a stainless Noveske 16" Pac-Nor Recon or 18" SPR barrel in the configuration of your choosing.

this is just my personal preference...i'm sure a build with a Douglas, Krieger, White Oak, JPE or Rainier barrel would serve you very well
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum9x19mm View Post
    my suggestion would be a stainless Noveske 16" Pac-Nor Recon or 18" SPR barrel in the configuration of your choosing.
    I priced Noveske at around $1400 and that's just not doable. If I were going into harms way for a living I'd find away but I'm a retired 50-something.

Keeping things cheap enough that I don't have to sell a kidney how about the upper off a RRA Coyote Rifle? or RRA National Match? Any good?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sholling View Post
    I priced Noveske at around $1400 and that's just not doable. If I were going into harms way for a living I'd find away but I'm a retired 50-something.

Keeping things cheap enough that I don't have to sell a kidney how about the upper off a RRA Coyote Rifle? or RRA National Match? Any good?

i've bought a few stripped RRA lowers, a RRA lower parts kit and the RRA Dominator
    (EO riser/BUIS) ...that is the sum of my dealings with Rock River. the lowers and LPK i kept. the dominator i sold, because the LaRue EO mount and BUIS makes more sense.

as far as the uppers, sorry. i've shot a couple, but not enough trigger time to make any sort of evaluation. i don't think i've ever even shot one of their stainless barrels.

hopefully someone with more experience with RRA will be able to chime in.
    Last edited by Parabellum9x19mm; 11-11-08 at 01:45.
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    Well thank you for trying and for your advice. I'm learning a lot here. Perhaps I'll do another build later with an 18" SPR. I'd love one. But I just can't now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sholling View Post

your best bet on a budget is gonna be to build it yourself.. the noveske SPR barrel is $490, and you would have one of the finest barrels available.. stick it to the other components as you can afford them. white oak's SPR is really nice, too- i almost bought one for my SPR build. they run $265, which leaves you $335 to blow on an upper receiver and quality BCG, then spend just a little more for some YHM guards.

both of those barrels are 18" and shoot better than you.. an SPR is really the only way you're gonna get a CQB/DMR combo gun. 20" barrels cross the line for CQB applications.

Once you're open to building it yourself, the possibilities expand exponentially.

Or you could just get something like this white oak "varmint" upper.. .223 (not 5.56) 18" match barrel, float tube.. $595

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone I have a lot to chew on. I spoke to White Oak and they suggested that since I already own a 16" carbine that I skip building an 18" SPR and go straight to a 20" DMR for the extra velocity. To be honest I love their 20" SDM but I'll have to save a couple of months if I go that route. Man what a rifle that SDM would make! Since I'm already saving for an Remington R25 that adds up to a lot of saving.

The Sabre Defense Competition Extreme in 18" looks like another nice and more affordable choice. It lacks rails (no big deal to me) but includes back up iron sights (important to me) for about $300 less than the SDM.

Right now I'm still in the dreaming stage because I'm over budget, but your past and future thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

BTW: Just to give a bit more background. I already have a Stag 16" carbine and an M1A Squad Scout in my collection. I also have my dealer searching for a Remington R25. That gives me (hopefully) two .308 mid-size battle rifles and a short and handy carbine. I'm trying to fill any gaps between the 308s and the little Stag. Preferably with something laser accurate and very reliable.