Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: moved to training and tactics*****What's the "service" life of a magazine?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I guess "push/pull" doesn't work in Alaska.
    Everything's tougher in Alaska!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I got some Lancer mags on the way. They have steel feed lips molded in the plastic body of the magazine.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    I got some HK steel mags and they work fine. Don't leave them loaded for a long time (even down loaded), the spring weakened and the mag wouldn't lock my bolt. GI mags with magpul upgrades are good to go. I just ordered some Lancer mags. I like the idea of the steel feed lips. Seems to work for Glocks and AK poly mags.
    The magazine in my patrol rifle and the spare on my duty belt have been loaded for the last 3 years except when i am shooting them and I have not had problems. I do download to 28. I also like P Mags and GI mags and I have a few Lancer and they work fine too.

Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Press the bolt release with your support side thumb.

We disagree again with the "fine motor skills" thing. Aren't pressing the trigger, manipulating the safety and performing a tac relaod all examples of fine motor skills?

But this discussion is now off-topic from the service life of a magazine.
    I sent you a PM on the subject. Take care. One thing I do know is most schools are moving away from doing tactical reloads. They are not realistic under real life stress conditions. I have reviewed my share of shootings in training and I have yet to see one where a tactical reload was even used much less made a difference. Slide lock reloads and speed reloads are what are important.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    "Slapping" the bolt release is a no go as well. It is VERY easy to miss the tiny button with the palm of your hand. This is why quality instructors teach the use of your thumb to release the bolt. Since the gentlemen teaching this technique have all seen combat at the highest level, I believe they know what they are talking about.

C4
    Grant even if you miss the tiny button 999 times out of 1000 the bolt still gets released by inertia and the reload goes just fine. I have never seen this technique fail in training. Try it some time. Lock the bolt back then hit the side of the reciever purposely missing the bolt release. As long as you have more strength than a typical 12 year old girl it will work just fine. My firearms instructors were also gun fight winners. One being Jeff Hall a former Vietnam Vet and a former Alaska State Trooper. He is currently a NRA Law Enforcement Instructor. We have different tiers of AR15's on a chart I have yet to see a chart rating instructors quality. As for combat there are no levels. If someone is trying to kill you its all pretty much the same and its not fun. Their are many right ways to do something and only a few wrong ones. Techniques are just tools in the tool box.

Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 11-17-08 at 00:24.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    So the old SPORTS is not true then?

SPORTS Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap, Shoot

No Slapping. insert firmly, then pull? But tapping is still required right?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    moved to training and tactics
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345