Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P Thumb Safety

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Unfortunately the thumb safety on the M&P is right where I want to put my rather large thumb. Plus since it moves so easily I can accidentally flick it up. Which could be bad under the wrong circumstances.

Try riding your large thumb on-top of the thumb safety (1911 style). This avoids the accidental safety engagement issue while shooting completely. It also helps me avoid riding the slide stop lever while shooting which has always been an issue for me whem shooting M&P's without the thumb safety.

Feedback Score
    Grant didn't have them in stock at the time they first became available and it was the only option on the FDE model with night sites. I got a great deal from him though.

Quote Originally Posted by POF.Ops View Post
    Then why didn't you buy one w/o the ambi safety? I wish mine was FDE. The reason I bought the ambi safety model is because it is like my 1911's.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 11-11-08 at 22:53. Reason: spelling
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Will S&W be offering to add the manual safety to older M&Ps ?
    I don't believe so. When I inquired about the possibility for my test gun they didn't want to do it. It's technically possible but you'd need to cut a notch in your polymer frame.

Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Unfortunately the thumb safety on the M&P is right where I want to put my rather large thumb. Plus since it moves so easily I can accidentally flick it up. Which could be bad under the wrong circumstances.
    Just to echo and expound upon what nickdrak said, if you're using a thumb-safety equipped pistol properly there should be no danger of the safety engaging during the firing process. In fact, except for the second it takes to engage the lever to put the gun on safe, your thumg should always be riding the safety lever if the gun is in your hand.

Feedback Score
    Yeah doesn't work so well for me with the M&P. That lever is just too small and flexible.
    I do ride the thumb safety with 1911's.

ToddG Guest
    I don't own an M&P with a manual safety (yet) so I can't comment on their durability from personal experience.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't own an M&P with a manual safety (yet) so I can't comment on their durability from personal experience.
    So are you planning to trade off your 9mm M&P's for versions with safeties, when they're available?

ToddG Guest
    The test gun I'm using now is going to Smith for SHOT. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll give it back but they may want to tear it apart to test it. Odds are it will have 75,000 rounds through it at that point (in less than 9 months).

As for what we're doing when the M&P9 test is over, that will be announced at (or slightly before) SHOT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    I wish I could break mine off on my M&P45. I'm so used to shooting the other M&P's without the safety, when I shoot the 45, the handling feels weird, but I still love to shoot it.
    The thumb safety is easily removed. You are left with the gap on either side where it moves, but that is it.

Feedback Score
    I would like a non-ambidextrous safety then I could put some CT laser grips on mine.
    Last edited by crowkiller; 11-13-08 at 11:15.
    JOHN 3:16

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I spoke with Smith about the need for the safety to have a more positive "click" feel to it when I was up there last month. More recent .45's have been improved over early ones, from what I've seen. Some of it is probably luck of the draw, though. FWIW, it's fairly easy to remove and work on the detent in the sear housing block if you need to.
    My thumb safety moves too easy as well. What exactly needs to be done to the detent?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast