Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a dmr type rifle.

Feedback Score

Building a dmr type rifle.

I'm thinking about building a dmr type gun. I don't have much of an idea about where I should go in undertaking this project and I thought I would ask you guys for some help regarding where I should go with this. Before you read on, if there is any website out there that can explain the concept and what to use for a dmr rifle, just post that and you don't have to answer the rest of my noob questions.
    My only real requirements for this build are is that I want it light enough that it can be easily carried in the field and be reasonably accurate out to 400 yards or so.

Mostly I need direction on what barrel I should use for this project. Do I need to go stainless or would a chrome moly barrel be fine? What barrel profile would work best? Finally what barrel length would be best?

Would a viking tactics free float handguard be a good way to go?

Feedback Score

Centurion Arms

http://www.centurionarms.com/product...dmr_upper.html

This seems to me to be one of the best deals going. Doing the math, I would save very little money if I ordered all the separate parts, paid shipping on each order, and assembled it myself. If Larry Vickers endorses Monty, that's good enough for me as well. I think this would be the way to go for an upper...
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."- John Stuart Mill English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Feedback Score
    2 things that i would look at closely are budget, and NOVESKE if your wanting super accurate you cant go wrong with them. i would build the budget and work around a noveske barrel just my 2 cents

Feedback Score
    After reading around, I think what I've been wanting is more along the lines of a recce since I would also like for it to be able to shoot standard ammo as well. If I go that route and use a chrome lined barrel, what barrel should I use then? Would a good hbar with a 1/7 twist be fine?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    After reading around, I think what I've been wanting is more along the lines of a recce
    the recces that were built for the seals had SS barrels. the first ones were lilja 1x8's the new barrels that the use are noveske 1x8. my recce has the noveske here is a picture of it

let me know if you have any questions about mine via PM.

other than if your just trying to be authentic the term "Recce" basically just refers to a 16" precision rifle with a magnified optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC45 View Post
    http://www.centurionarms.com/product...dmr_upper.html

This seems to me to be one of the best deals going. Doing the math, I would save very little money if I ordered all the separate parts, paid shipping on each order, and assembled it myself. If Larry Vickers endorses Monty, that's good enough for me as well. I think this would be the way to go for an upper...
    I'm building my SPRish gun from a Denny's 18" SPR-M Ion-Bond Barrel. It's an expensive barrel.

Monty from Centurion Arms pinned a Badger Mk-12 Gas Block on it[barrel] for me- I think he was only in possession of my barrel for 24 hours before shipping it back to me. He is a great guy to deal with. Make sure you pin your gas block if anything else.

I'll be using many KAC Parts(Rail, Sights, Rail covers, sling attachment), LMT SOPMOD 2-Stage Lower, NightForce 2.5-10X32 Scope, Badger or Nightforce Rings, one of G&R's FN contract stripped uppers, and I'm waiting for a Chrome Youngs M16 complete BCG package.
    I wont be back from the suck until january so I have no pics of anything until then.
    Good luck on your quest.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm waiting for a Chrome Youngs M16 complete BCG package.
    yes yes good good, im also waiting on one of these but EVERYONE i have talked with is out of stock

Feedback Score
    So would a stainless barrel from whie oak be a good base.
    I was looking at either the SPR match barrel or 16" .223 barrel. Thay fall within my budget which is important.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    So would a stainless barrel from whie oak be a good base.
    I was looking at either the SPR match barrel or 16" .223 barrel. Thay fall within my budget which is important.
    I have heard nothing but good things about WOA barrels. You should still be well under 1 MOA at 100.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Good. I was thinking about having it built by adco since they seem to have many of the parts I want. They are good to go right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast