Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Colt 1911 tactical pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My new Colt 1911 tactical pistol

I just picked this up last night and my horrendous picture taking abilities do not do it justice. My camera would not focus correctly and now lies somewhere in my backyard as my wife watched in horror as I winged it into the woods. Oh well.

As to the pistol, I have never been so happy about a piece of metal. Add Grant's perfect timing on my DG-18 which came today and life is good.

This started life as a Colt Series 70 reissue and all that survives of it are the frame, slide and a couple of minor parts. I combed the net for 1911 info and ideas and incorporated some into my pistol. Other ideas came from my gunsmiths. This pistol will be on their new website introducing their new shop so I'll leave the detail photos to them.

The parts list is as follows:

-frame and slide: Colt
    -safety: EB Tactical
    -grip safety: EB Memorygroove
    -trigger: EGW solid
    -sear: EGW
    -firing pin stop: EGW
    -disconnect: Colt
    -plunger tube: Colt
    -guide rod: Wilson SS FL (yes, full length)
    -hammer: C&S Ultra Lite
    -mag catch: Wilson
    -ejector: King's
    -bushing: Kart
    -barrel: Kart NM
    -slide stop: EGW
    -extractor: Wilson BP
    -sights: Heinie Str 8 night sights
    -magwell: S&A arched
    -grips: VZ black canvas
    -light rail: Caspian
    -light: SF X200B w/DG18 switch

Again, I wish I had better pics because this pistol is all about the details:
    -complete dehorn
    -flatten and serrate top of slide
    -front cocking serrations
    -crown barrel 11 degrees
    -lower and flare ejection port
    -checker slide stop
    -serrate rear of slide
    -cut back and re-radius trigger
    -mag catch is slanted and checkered
    -mag well has flats machined on sides, factory checkering removed and recheckered to match front strap checkering. Also, lanyard hole machined into mag well. This is pretty amazing and I couldn't get a good pick of it.
    -left top of grip safety is scalloped for thumb safety manipulation
    -firing pin stop retainer on left of slide. Usually for competition pistols, detent keeps firing pin stop from locking up pistol if it breaks in half. I was told that Bill Wilson did this in the early 1980's.
    -Caspian rail pinned and welded on. Was not truly 1913 spec and a lot of work went into it.
    -finish is matte blue for now. There are so many interesting finishes coming out now that I will shoot this thing all fall and decide on a finish during the winter.

I just want to thank Jody and John for all of their work. They have made 2 1911s, one Rem 700 and 9 ARs for me. Like I said before, much better pics of this thing will be on their new business website for Jo-Jo's Gunworks in Southington, CT very soon. Enjoy my modest pics for now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cohiba
    -firing pin stop retainer on left of slide. Usually for competition pistols, detent keeps firing pin stop from locking up pistol if it breaks in half. I was told that Bill Wilson did this in the early 1980's.
    Very nice, but too pretty. It needs some character marks.

Interesting. I have never seen or heard of. If the FPS breaks, isnt the gun a paper weight anyhow? I've never heard of one breaking?

I ended up putting a bunch of rounds through my 1911 today with the TPD class graduating next week. (steel was set too heavy for 9mm to knock over) I really miss shooting it, now to see how bad my wrist hurts tomorrow. Getting older sucks

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Looks like an awesome pistol. Great pictures too, I don't know why you got mad at your camera.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Absolutely stunning.

1911's just don't get any better than that.

I really love the S&A magwell re-contouring.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    There's only one word that comes to mind when I look at that. That word is beautiful. Very nice!
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    Looks like an awesome pistol. Great pictures too, I don't know why you got mad at your camera.
    As I said somewhere else, I took 32 pics total and only these came out. Damn auto focus kept fixating on what was behind the pistol. Wife found the camera. Don't think Nikon had this in mind for warranty work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just shoot down at the table or put up a backdrop so the camera won't try to focus a much greater distance than your object.
    The one shot where the front sight is in focus and the hammer is not is from having the aperture opened rather than stopped down to f16 that gives a greater depth of field, ie. longer span in focus.

Oh... nice pistol BTW.
    I have a 1991A1 in the works myself.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Feedback Score
    That is a great looking pistol.
    Whoever did the work is a very skilled craftsman.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wondered what is pinned at the rear of the slide? I haven't seen that before.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's a beautiful pistol.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast