Thread: NFA question about pistol cal.

Feedback Score

NFA question about pistol cal.

I don't know if makes a difference or not, but when you put a pistol cal upper on a AR is it still considered a "rifle" needing a 16" barrel or is it now a "pistol" and can have a shorter barrel, i.e. 10."

Thanks in advance.
    Retired Tracy Police Department-D-tac instructor

Feedback Score
    The barrel has to be 16+ inches regardless of caliber or registered as a short barreled rifle with the ATF .
    Last edited by hatt; 11-16-08 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    Okay that's what I was asking. I live in CA so I cannot own a SBR no matter what. I just didn't know if the pistol cal made the gun a "pistol."

Thanks
    Retired Tracy Police Department-D-tac instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallboss View Post
    Okay that's what I was asking. I live in CA so I cannot own a SBR no matter what. I just didn't know if the pistol cal made the gun a "pistol."

Thanks
    The lower had to be created as a pistol lower. Basically some manufacturers do this by putting a buffer tube on the lower that won't accept stocks without changing the buffer tube and the lower is stamped "Pistol." Mine is a "Pistol" stamped lower with a 10" upper chambered in 5.56x45mm / .223 Remington. Regardless of the fact that it uses a rifle caliber, the weapon is still legally a pistol.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I recently bought a stripped lower with the intentions of building a rifle but have not put a stock on it yet. When I bought it, I filled out the new yellow NICS forms which asks if the item is a handgun, rifle or other. Since I bought a stripped lower, it's considered "other." Can I make a pistol out of it instead of a rifle? It's a Stag lower and is not marked "Pistol" or "Rifle."