Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best bolt gun

Feedback Score

Question best bolt gun

I am looking into getting a tactical bolt action rifle but am unsure what to get I will be doing some hunting but mostly punching paper. Half of my buddies say get the SPS Remington 700 and the other half say to get the Savage 10 FCP and I have had a few people tell me to get the Steyr SSG. Just looking for opinions on whats good right out of the box. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Consider the FN SPR.

Feedback Score
    Comes down to how much do you want to spend. Without going too crazy, check out the Non-Typical Hunting Rifle from GA Precision.

Rich

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I am interested in this topic. I know next to nothing about bolt guns but my interest is growing. I am in the market for a "do it all" .308...

I think.

Feedback Score
    You may want to further define best. Weight, durability, function, bullet selection, etc.

I define my wants as a rifle that is rugged, lightweight, will reach 2,700 fps with 175gr. SMK or 2850 fps with 155 scenars, and has a DBM.

I would say that a Remington or Surgeon s/a, 18"-20" rem. varmit contour barrel, Manners or McMillan Edge stock, with M5 BM sounds about right. I would let PAI, KMW, Surgeon, or GAP put it together. It should be very light and handy, but still put rounds downrange very well. Also I would get a silencer for it, nothing heavier than 24oz.

GAP and Surgeon have this type of rifle available as "factory packages", so the wait time should be very little.

If you want to do it the cheapest, get someone to blueprint an LTR and slap it in a AICS.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    If your looking for an entry level bolt gun the Remington 700P/PSS is hard to beat for the money.Out of the box they shoot .75 with Federal Gold Medal,less if your a hand loader and know the tricks of the trade.They are hard to beat for the money and have alot of aftermarket support.

The trigger can be tuned and is adjustable,its "usable"(4 lbs) out of the box but some still like a really light trigger.Recoil in .308 and .300 Win mag are manageable for most(I hunt elk with .375 H&H) and I like the fit of the HS Precision factory supplied stock.

I have no problems engaging hostile steel target out to 800(.308) with a Leupold MK4 M3.Farther with ammo that stays supersonic past 800.The .300 Win mag does even better if you need to shoot 1000-1200.

There are certainly more expensive options out there but the Remmi is hard to beat for the money and performance offered.

http://www.remingtonle.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Best IMHO is an Accuracy International.
    2nd would be a gun built on a Surgeon action.
    3rd would be a GAP built on their Rock Receiver.
    4th, GAP or other REM700 build, FN makes great guns, and Sako/Tika are great out-of-the-box guns.

What is your price range? It makes all the difference.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    FWIW, George Gardner (GA Precision) stocks over 300 barrels at any time and has his own action. He keeps in inventory McMillan, AI, et. al. stocks and so even on full blown custom builds, he can usually spin them out in less than 6 weeks.

You will find nothing better...although AI's are pretty damn sweet.

Rich

Feedback Score
    The AW is a great rifle but a little heavy for my tastes. A Surgeon reciever with the same profile barrel in a Manners or Mcmillan stock will be several pounds lighter.

In fact, a Surgeon Scalpel outfitted with a S&B 3-12, Harris bipod with a Rem Varmit profile barrel, and a TBA silencer will weigh the same as the bare AWP. It will also cost alot less.

If weight is not a concern, then I would concede the AW is one of the best choices out there.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodinal220 View Post
    If your looking for an entry level bolt gun the Remington 700P/PSS is hard to beat for the money.
    I agree. I've been eyeing one myself, lately.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast