Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best bolt gun

Feedback Score
    I was in the same position recently, and ended up getting a Steyr SSG-69 P2K.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Go on over to the Snipers hide. That said I started with a Remmy PSS in an HS stock moved on to an FN SPR then a GAP M24 now an AI.....it gets expensive Remember your glass should be as good as your Rifle for any serious application.
    Last edited by Limey-; 11-18-08 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I don't know that I would say best, but IMHO the Savage model 10 and older 110 police line are accurate and versatile. Barrel changes can be completed with a minimum of tools by the user and there are some quality stocks, triggers and optics mounts available for them.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your input the wife is paying for it for my x-mas present and she said that she would spend no more than $2,000 on it so i would like the best bolt rifle in that price range now what are my options??

Feedback Score
    If you don't care for magazine fed, then picking up a Savage 110 or 10fp and then, new stock, trigger change, bolt/action work, good bases & rings (Badger) would do it.

As for glass, the rule is always, buy what you can on the rifle, take a loan out for glass. It is NEVER bad to spend more on your optics than you did on the rifle.

Rich

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Thanks for all your input the wife is paying for it for my x-mas present and she said that she would spend no more than $2,000 on it so i would like the best bolt rifle in that price range now what are my options??
    For this amount of money I would say:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308
    EGW base
    EGW steel rings
    Millett TRS-1 or Super Sniper or Falcon Scope
    TI sling
    Harris Bi-Pod
    Lots of ammo

Will get you started and give you a sub 3/4 package.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    There are a lot of fine choices when it comes to bolt guns. CZ-USA is another one worth considering. Fine rifles /superb quality and very accurate.
    X-Military
    Glock Armorer

Feedback Score

Bolt Gun

If you want a bolt gun out of the box that is good. Get about any gun mag. and order a service grade K98k Mauser from Mitchell Mauser. about 250.00 can not beat it with a stick I got 3 from Mitchell and thinking about getting a another collectors grade 399.00 match part. I have 4 other K98 I've pick up thru the years. Can't beat them ammo all around. You can buy ammo for hunting or reload. If you want it scoped get a long eye releaf scope and mount at the rear site.
    A man with a gun is a free man, a man without a gun is a subject
    Life Member NRA

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Knowing the price range and weight consideration would help. But, in no particular order:

Armament Technology AT1-M24

A.I. A.W.

G.A. Precision: The Rock, Non typical Hunting or T.I.S. Rifles

I.B.A. Chandler Sniper

Scopes: Schmidt & Bender P.M. 2 Military 3-12X50MM or Nightforce 3-15X50MM

Sling: T.I. Quick Cuff.

Bipod: Harris B.R.M. with Pod Loc

Bottom metal, rings and one piece base: Badger Ordinance

I am sure you would be happy with any of the above, accuracy wise. If weight is a big factor for hunting use than go with one of the above lighter weight ones. Hope that helps.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Often times the difference between a $500. Savage and an exotic $3500. tactical rifle is less than a 1/4" at 100 yds. I've seen Georgia farm boys hit eggs at 500 yards with their Savages. Personally I'm not a fan because I don't like the barrel nut but the SOBs are shooters and in the unlikely event you get one that isn't, send it back and they'll make it right.
    X-Military
    Glock Armorer

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast