Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy vs. MI rails

Feedback Score

Troy vs. MI rails

I've been thinking about getting a railed handguard for my m4. I know free float is where it's at, but no free float will be fine for my applications. I'm going between the troy mrf-di and the midwest industries MI#17. Is there much of a difference between the two in terms of dimensions, attachment, and the like? I'm just wondering if the troy is worth the extra cash.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Troy rails are one piece. The MI are 3 pieces. The main rain and two end pieces allen screwed to the rail. The Troy is better quality and a simpler more durable rail IMHO.

Feedback Score
    I purchased the TROY MRF for my 16" LMT and have been extremely pleased with it. It locks up tight and gives you a free float option without having to remove the front sight base. Much better than the midwest product, Just my .02

Feedback Score
    If I went with the troy mrf-di would I see any accuracy degredation since it's not free float? I just have a red dot on it right now, but I might put a low power scope on it someday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    If I went with the troy mrf-di would I see any accuracy degredation since it's not free float? I just have a red dot on it right now, but I might put a low power scope on it someday.
    The M4 is a combat carbine not a precision marksman weapon. The MRF-DI will neither detract or enhance accuracy. Even a FF rail will have minimal impact on accuracy enhancement, at least for the types of shooting the M4 was intended.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Both are good. The MI is a little wide. I've read nothing but positive reviews of the MRF DI from Troy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Troy 7" rail on my first AR and it's very robust. That said, it's heavier than a DD Omega/Lite and LaRue.
    Good Rail for the $$.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both are good to go. I prefer the Troy by a small margin because they are not as wide, as MarkM said.

In regard to the MRF-DI I think it is one of the best deals going in handguard rails. Grant has an awesome deal going on them where you get a free PMAG! I have them on my wife's carbine and find them to be excellent. They only add about 3.5oz in overall weight, they have push button QD sling swivel receptacles at the front and rear of both sides, and they lock in like normal handguards but also lock together via 4 screws. They are rock solid and I have not been able to detect any zero shift from having the sling mounted on them (though I have not shot it with a tight sling), off-hand, off sand bags, or even off of a bi-pod.

If I build another carbine I may give the Troy MRF-CX a try. I like having some extra rail space in front off the front sight for a light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    The M4 is a combat carbine not a precision marksman weapon. The MRF-DI will neither detract or enhance accuracy. Even a FF rail will have minimal impact on accuracy enhancement, at least for the types of shooting the M4 was intended.
    That is exactly why I went with the MRF-DI on my M4.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I had a free float set of MI#20 rails on a carbine and although it worked perfectly fine it was a bit too wide for my preference.

When using a VFG it was a non-issue and the rails were solid.

No experience with the Troy rails, and I'd like to try the MRF-CX version as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast