Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxim Defense PDX thoughts? Or similar?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I know nothing about the 9x25 Dillon but tons about 9x21, 9x23 and 38 Super from my IPSC days. The loads to make major with 115s were hard on the primer pockets. Hard enough that I wouldn't shoot once loaded brass in competition. I went back to 38 Super because the brass cost half of what 9x23 did. I didn't bother to pick it up. I can't imagine getting much life out of any of the bottleneck pistol brass.
    Absolutely, those high PSI loads are hard on the brass. In my case, when I hunt feral hogs, brass recovery is very low when I try really hard to collect them. I remember shooting with a friend near my corrals, together we shot 12 nickeled cases. After ~10 minutes while they bled out, we only found 3 cases in the grass.

So, for me at least, brass life or cost would not be a concern because I would expect to basically lose it all and shooting volume would be relatively low. More than hunting deer or elk (how many worry about collecting brass after bagging a 'trophy'?) for example but, much less than a 'match' or 'range day'. For a range toy, brass recovery is a different subject for me, usually, because my brass is more expensive (some cases are ~$3 each) or hard to form (Wildcats).

For an IPSC 'racegun', 38Super brass would be so cheap I wouldn't try to collect it at a match. Plus in the overall scheme of things, after match fees, travel, hotel and meals, etc., cheap brass recovery with worn primer pockets is like trying to save an extra napkin from a fast food place to use later.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not to derail but 10mm in a PCC is something to take note of. The hotter rounds out of friends MP5/10 really show what the round is capable of in that platform given the limitations of a pistol round. A bit more recoil than the same gun in 9mm but not enough to make a difference, IMHO.Im thinking a 10mm Chambered in AR based PCC would probably slow or stop the demand of sub 10" 5.56 platforms like the Maxim. The Maxim "cool factor" is always there but to me it felt like a loud uncomfortable noise & flash maker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    Not to derail but 10mm in a PCC is something to take note of. The hotter rounds out of friends MP5/10 really show what the round is capable of in that platform given the limitations of a pistol round. A bit more recoil than the same gun in 9mm but not enough to make a difference, IMHO.Im thinking a 10mm Chambered in AR based PCC would probably slow or stop the demand of sub 10" 5.56 platforms like the Maxim. The Maxim "cool factor" is always there but to me it felt like a loud uncomfortable noise & flash maker.
    Yes, the thread has wandered a bit from initial inquiry regarding a 300 Black Out Maxim PDX. I'm not on a two-way range in the Mid-East so the 7.62x39 has very little value to me personally.

A Glock 40 and 10mm AR-15 would be a great pair for many people looking for a self-defense and urban support firearm. It's the lack of support of 10mm AR-15's in general that I think keeps many people from buying them and, the fact 9mm AR-15's are widespread and cheap with really cheap plinking ammo. Compared to 300BO, 10mm premium ammunition is easier to find, for me at least, than 300BO and it is somewhat cheaper though not enough so to influence my purchase decision.

I'm looking at the 300BO option and think that it will have better penetration and better projectiles for hitting FERAL HOGS to not 'splash' if they hit a shoulder bone and penetrate deep enough to kill them, either DRT or somewhere to feed the coyotes if I can't follow the blood trail (I don't expect to make an ear hole shot every time ).

The thing that brought me to Maxim Defense was their stocks so, if another manufacturer makes a good alternative to the PDX I'm certainly interested. An alternate AR-15 based option can be equipped with their stock if I decide to go another direction.

Maybe a Honey Badger?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 508 and 510 info were just released, the pic was shown on Soldier Systems as released by Maxim Defense. This may be more in line with what you (and I) are looking for.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thanks Stick!

I guess that explains my difficulty calling and emailing them; SHOT SHOW! The MD:15 looks attractive with its lower price point. Is it Law Enforcement Only? Hmm ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question

Looking at and researching the Q Honey Badger and Suger Weasel, I see a lot of talk about the 1x5 barrel versus the more common 1x7. Kevin indicated in what I read that 1x5 is much more accurate at longer distances than the 1x7 barrels. I could see a 1x5 barrel stabilizing subsonic heavy loads more but, at what range advantage over a 1x7 barrel? Also, wouldn't a 1x5 barrel sacrifice supersonic performance?

I guess some of this is moot if you don't want to 'mortar' in subsonic heavies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12