Thread: 9mm suppressor options

Feedback Score

9mm suppressor options

I am looking into getting a 9mm suppressor to use with a GLOCK 17. The two I have been looking at are the AAC Evolution 9 and the Gemtech Tundra. Anyone have any exprience with either one of these suppressors or the companines themselves? Any other options for a 9mm suppressor? Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I don't have any experience with the AAC. I have a Gemtech Multimout, a Gemtech Viper and an HTG Cycle 2 all in 9mm. They are all 1.375" diameter cans which run a bit quieter according to silencerresearch.com I can't tell the difference between the cans but haven't had the guns or barrels to shoot them side by side.

MY experience with Gemtech has been positive with little interaction with the company. They were quick and efficient when ordering and answered by questions about a seperate part quickly and kindly. I have no complaints about thier product. I only use the Multimount on an SBR HK94

I've never had a failure feeding or cycling with the HTG on the HK USP9SD using thier "booster" (the part that allows browning-type actions to cycle with the heavy weight of the suppressor on the barrel). George Vias has been pleaseant to deal with and is more than willing to spend time on the phone talking about suppressors.

HK USP9SD with HTG Cycle 2

My experience to pass along about 9mm silencers, having messed with this for a few years, is as follows:

Silenced guns are fun but dirty. Cleaning will take a bit more time and don't forget about the face of the slide that is next to the barrel. It will have a nice circle on the front side.

Where and what you're shooting makes more of a difference sometimes than which can. I've shot steel with a supressor, and while cool, is amazingly loud. Walls nearby, supersonic ammunition (greater than 1100 fps), hard targets, confining berms...all of these will make the sound that a can still allows louder. Shoot a mud bank in the middle of a grassy field with subsonic ammo and it is amazing.

Sights can be a problem...I'm running large diameter cans, so it's my own fault. My HK USP9SD has tall sights so it's not much of a problem, but do some rapid fire and you'll start to have mirage issues looking over the sights.

Check the tightness of the can on the threads after every magazine change. It's amazing how quickly the can will loosen up some times. I haven't had a baffle strike yet, but I've had some pretty loose cans hanging up there when I forgot to check after a bit. Best mount for me are the three-lug mounts on the MP-5, they just don't loosen up, but I don't run any of the Quick Detach mounts either.

Ammo makes a difference. Put together a magazine alternating 115 gr and 147gr. ammo and watch the head's turn. Alabama Ammo is a great supplier/reloader for Subsonic 147gr. 9mm "Special K" (256) 974-3504 Last I knew they were selling it for $275 per 1000 rounds.

Sorry if this comes across as preachy. When I started down this path is was tough to figure out the real info from the politics. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any other assistance.

best wishes,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    have you considered the SWR trident. i believe there was a test on silencertalk where it was rated the quietest of the lot. the trident however, has the larges diameter (i think 1/8th in ) so it would definately add to aiming issues.