Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of accuracy to expect from the "FBI Load" 5.56 TBBC?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recently loaded up what I believe are some of these 62 grain bonded bullets from pulled down ammunition. One 5-shot group in my first test is showing just shy of 2" at 100 yards.

N133 was the powder used which is fairly close to 844. Next is 8208XBR to see if a touch slower powder, and some added velocity, will give an improvement.

Feedback Score
    Some bullets just don't shoot well in NATO chambers. Its not the rifle!!!! Its not the bullet!

Put them in a Wylde chamber and groups can be cut in half. Its just the way it goes.

Try AR-Comp with the low 60 grain weights. Usually you can find accuracy in the low 2800's, then again around 2900 fps or so from a 16 inch barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's been my experience that TBBC component bullet don't shoot well in any 223/5.56 chamber. By not well I mean not as accurate like 69 SMK's can be.

In this case it's the bullet....IMHO and YMMV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    It's been my experience that TBBC component bullet don't shoot well in any 223/5.56 chamber. By not well I mean not as accurate like 69 SMK's can be.

In this case it's the bullet....IMHO and YMMV
    I agree.

In my recent test that yielded a 2" group, I was shooting them out of a standard 223 Remington chamber, bolt action, with a 1:7 twist. It will typically put the 69 SMK into a 1/2" group.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I agree.

In my recent test that yielded a 2" group, I was shooting them out of a standard 223 Remington chamber, bolt action, with a 1:7 twist. It will typically put the 69 SMK into a 1/2" group.
    Don't get me wrong. The .224 TBBC bullets are superb as barrier blind projectiles. They are just not accurate. And not being match projectiles I was willing to grant them allowances. But constant 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" groups are unacceptable
    for my handloaded ammo. I stopped using them when they ran out.

For I while I shot Nosler's 64 grain solid base bonded that I had on hand in some quantity, which shot better even though they are as aerodynamic as a cinder block, until they became mostly unobtainable.

I now rely on Speer's 62 grain Gold Dot, which shoots well to just over 1 to 1 1/4 MOA (for 5 shots) with 25.2 grains of TAC, in LC brass and CCI 450 Primer, @ 2.250" COAL, in my 16" 1-8 twist barrel. And they fly a bit better than the Noslers.

I have about 1,000 of these component bullets on hand, and they have been widely available in spurts lately.

I would prefer to use the 75 grain Gold Dot component bullet, but those have been unobtainable anywhere for near 3 years.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 02-01-24 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    Ive had consistent 1.3" groups from fusion 62gr. Imo best value of price/performane/accuracy. Ive taken them to past 500yds.

Imo a well rounded load should be ... well-rounded and predictable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Don't get me wrong. The .224 TBBC bullets are superb as barrier blind projectiles. They are just not accurate. And not being match projectiles I was willing to grant them allowances. But constant 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" groups are unacceptable
    for my handloaded ammo. I stopped using them when they ran out.

For I while I shot Nosler's 64 grain solid base bonded that I had on hand in some quantity, which shot better even though they are as aerodynamic as a cinder block, until they became mostly unobtainable.

I now rely on Speer's 62 grain Gold Dot, which shoots well to just over 1 to 1 1/4 MOA (for 5 shots) with 25.2 grains of TAC, in LC brass and CCI 450 Primer, @ 2.250" COAL, in my 16" 1-8 twist barrel. And they fly a bit better than the Noslers.

I have about 1,000 of these component bullets on hand, and they have been widely available in spurts lately.

I would prefer to use the 75 grain Gold Dot component bullet, but those have been unobtainable anywhere for near 3 years.
    I'm not getting you wrong 😎

These 62 TBBC bullets that I have were about the same price as a Hornady 55 FMJ when I purchased them. I'll load them up and keep some around for the role they were intended, inside of 100 yards.

My defense load is the 75 Gold Dot and wrote about it on here when they first came out. Accuracy was very good for a defense/hunting bullet.

Feedback Score
    Factory loads topped with the 62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Federal Tactical 62 grain Bonded SP LE223T3

Federal XM556FBIT3

Federal XM556SBCT3 62 Grain TBBC

To show what premium 62-64 grain bonded bullets are capable of . . .

Hand-loaded 62 grain Gold Dot . . .

Hand-loaded 64 grain Nosler BSB . . .

…..
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for posting @Molon I thought I had seen all of your tests but not those.

As I mentioned earlier, I picked up the 64 TBBC on clearance and am going to use them for close work. Over the weekend, I loaded some 62 Gold Dots. If they are anything like the 75s, I expect them to shoot well.

I have never tried the Nosler 64 BSB but I do have some Winchester 64 PSP. Has anyone tried testing them for accuracy? DocGKR said that they have a good track record for stopping threats.

Feedback Score
    Loaded some Win 64gr power point some years ago with 335. No chrono. Best I remember, <1.5 at 100 in a poverty pony. Killed 3 whitetail with em but can't describe performance other than neck shots kill.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast