Thread: Ultimak and red dots, what will survive?

Feedback Score

Ultimak and red dots, what will survive?

I have an Ultimak on one of my AKs and want to put a red dot on it. I know a Aimpoint can handle the heat and that is one option and probably the best one really.

What other red dots do you guys think could take the heat? I kind of like the Strikefire.

I have an el cheapo hunting one I am going to put on there for a while and see if I can kill it. I want to eventually replace it with something that will last though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My advice is to just bite the bullet and buy an Aimpoint. You won't regret it in the long run.

Feedback Score
    I have three Aimpoints already on various rifles and plan to get another for my 9mm suppressed SBR project.

What's one more?

I may just track down a used older one since I am not really worried about battery life on what is really a toy. There are some bargains out there since some people just have to have the newest and best models. The older ones work fine for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by packinheavy View Post
    I have three Aimpoints already on various rifles and plan to get another for my 9mm suppressed SBR project.

What's one more?

I may just track down a used older one since I am not really worried about battery life on what is really a toy. There are some bargains out there since some people just have to have the newest and best models. The older ones work fine for me.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a T-1 or H-1. I haven't tried a full size Aimpoint on an Ultimak rail but I think it's quite front-end heavy.

If you're not going to mount a light or anything else you could try one of the new LaRue AK red dots.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    The Aimpoint CompM(2, 3, etc) can co-witness if you use a LOW 30mm mount, I followed earlier posted advice about using "1" Springfield Armory 30mm ring and that is how I mounted a demoted CompM on my SLR106. I had an H1 mounted prior - that worked perfectly with the OEM mount, but I later transplanted that to an Uzi project.

Check out the AAR reports from the Vickers AK classes. Templar has lots of great pics of different setups with Ultimaks, as well as Templar's own SLR106 setup.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I would say go with a Comp M3 series or if you can the T-1 is a no-brainer. I have seen several M2 series go down on an UltiMAK setup, and I'm not thinking that it is coincidental.

Other optics are hit or miss but the T-1 is a sure thing. Why not save your money up and do it right the first time?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, I've been using an H-1 on mine for the last several months without issue. A little less expensive than the T-1 and you only give up NV settings and a little waterproofing depth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some of the Tasco Propoints do well on AK's. I have a friend who runs PDP/PDP2's on most of his AK's on Ultimaks and has no problems.

Another option would be an older Aimpoint, if can get one. A 3000 or 5000 would do well, and cost a LOT less than current issue.
    Last edited by Vic303; 12-01-08 at 08:59.