Thread: Let's Talk KRINKS! Krink Options

Feedback Score

Let's Talk KRINKS! Krink Options

Ok guys,
    I've literally been dying for a Krink, and YES, let me go ahead and admit it, that I just recently obtained my very first AK.
    Truth be known though, I always knew if I bought that first AK, that I'd end up wanting a Krink, and well, that's exactly what has happened!
    Anyhow, I am doing some research on the AK forum, but I always enjoy bringing up a little AK discussion here, on my favorite firearms forum above all others by far.
    So, I wanted to ask you guys what exactly are the available optoins out there, for a high quality Krinkov?
    I mean, I'd REALLY, REALLY love to try and obtain one of those fairly new SA M7 SF SBR's, but from what I hear, their prices are literally insane, and I can't justify well over $2k for a Krink right now.
    Now I DO like the idea of another milled AK, to go along with my SA M7 carbine, however, I've not even seen any other milled Krinks that would be available??? I don't even think Polytech offered one. If they did, they've GOT to be SUPER rare.
    Anyhow, I guess that leaves the stamped guns, which is fine with me.
    Now I don't know if I should be looking for a 1.6mm receiver, or what?
    ALL I have ever really seen in the way of Krinks though, are a few Bulgarian Krinkov kits, which can sell for as much as $700-$750 *I THINK*. ??
    Does that sound right, or is that way off? I know I've seen a few kits for that price, but maybe they came with other accessories too, which could have driven the price up perhaps? Not sure really.
    One other option I've seen, is the Arsenal SLR107 (UR? CR?) which appears to me, to be set up from the factory, with the short stroke gas system, shorter handguard, and long portion of "nake" bbl sticking out there in front of the handguard, just dying to be cut off and SBR'd!
    SO, are there any other viable options out there, which I could keep an eye out for.
    Just like my SA M7 Carbine, which is no longer in production, I am definitely NOT against a Krink which may also be out of production, which I'd just have to keep an eye out for. I just want to know what all HIGH QUALITY Krinkov option actually exist, both past AND present. ????
    Thanks for any help guys, and I'm about to check for a Krink pic thread in this forum. IF there is not one however, feel free to post up a pic or two of your Krink, to help tempt me here...!
    Thanks guys.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    There are still many kits available although just like everything else they are being bought up fairly fast. I was in your situation a while back and ended up buying two parts kits. An Bulgarian AKS74u (5.45x39) and a Yugo M92 (7.62x39). I then bought a couple of receivers from NodakSpud and built them myself after jumping through the NFA form hoops. They turned out great and are a hoot to shoot. If you don't want to attempt building then you could sent them out for a build by a reputable builder. As far as quality they were both unfired kits and the quality was great although I do not have many rounds downrange.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Krik Kits

About the cheapest way to go is with a kit and permanent barrel extension. I say this because I'd rather make sure the thing runs prior to registering it as an SBR. It beats doing the paperwork, building the gun and then finding out that you screwed the receiver up and need another, ect.... (It was my first build w/supervision)

I picked up a demilled Yugo Krik in 7.62 with a bottom folding stock for $425-475 a few years ago, a receiver for $80.00 and a PBS fake suppressor/barrel extension for another 75.00. Of the two kits I've seen, the Yugo 7.62 underfolder (demilled) and the Bulgy 5.45 side folder, I'd have to pick the Yugo for quality.

Alot of the kits are being built as pistols. By registering the receiver as a pistol it does away with the barrel extension requirement but the folding stock needs to be removed by replacing the folding stock trunion with a pistol trunion. This is alittle easier. Also, either way you go, get a pre-drilled receiver. I used a virgin receiver (no trunion rivit hole)

Currently there are a few 5.45 kits (spendy) available and alot of yugo 'virgin' kits available. The virgin kits have never been assembled and no holes have been drilled/gas block mounted. A friend built one and said it was very time consumming and he wouldn't do it again. (He's built quite a few demilled guns).

Remember the barrel extension needs to be permanently attached until it is registered.

If I was to do it again, I would just register/purchase an an SBR AR15 receiver/rifle. It is more universal.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    I've literally been dying for a Krink
    My condolences.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    My condolences.

Your point?
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    Oh, and Ttwack,
    I should have said I've really just been yearning for an SBR, as opposed to "Krink", because I too, like you, have really been thinking of just SBRing an AR. Probably an LMT Mk18 build unless I decide to go 11.5" and do a BCM build.
    However, I have been bitten by the AK bug, and I'm giving that considerable thought as well.
    Truth be known, I'd probably get more use out of the SBR'd AR, but I'd certainly like to own both.
    I still have some thinking to do on the subject, and since I knew the kits are going fast, (as you said yourself), I figured I should start giving the matter some more serious thought.
    If the 416's weren't so ridiculously priced, I'd just go that route and be done with it.
    Thanks for the reply.
    BTW,
    As far as Krinks go, do you have a preference of caliber in 5.45 vs 7.62??
    I tend to just want the 7.62, strictly for ammo stocking reasons, but I suppose it wouldn't be too big a deal to add 5.45 as another caliber, given it's lower cost, at least for the time. Not sure how long that will last though.??
    Anyhow, thanks for the serious reply my friend.
    Last edited by Razorhunter; 11-22-08 at 16:46.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Standard 1mm thick AKM or AK-74 receivers are fine and dandy, and what the vast majority of European AK's use. The Chinese and Serbs use 1.6mm, but even the Serbs are going to 1mm.

You can get an Arsenal Inc. factory "krink" in 7.62x39mm as the SLR-107UR, then have a smith cut the barrel down and open the gas port.

They also make the same rifle in 5.56mm, but I'd stick with the 7.62mm.

If you want a 5.45mm, you'll need to pick up a Bulgarian parts kit, and a NODAK Spud NDS-2 receiver and have a smith build it up for you.

There are some Bulgarian kits built on Firing Line milled receivers floating around, but they're rare and hyper expensive.

Hope that helps.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I went throught the krink thing a few years ago and I had close to or a little over 2k in the end. It also took over a year and a half.

I was thinking of doing a 7.62 krink , and this SLR-107UR looks like all you would have to do after the approved form 1 would be to get a someone to cut the barrel . You would prob. want to buy a fh or krink break to replace the thread cover. I think sugg. retail on the SLR-107UR was/is under $1,300.00 .
    I cannot speak to availability of this item.

hope this helps

sorry templar I just read your post/ same info
    Last edited by parker7777; 11-23-08 at 06:53. Reason: dup. info

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got a new de-milled Bulgarian AKS-74U kit from KVAR, an NDS-2SF with pistol grip reinforcement plate and sent it to Troy at In Range C2 Inc.

Feedback Score
    PC,

Dude, I think I've found someone worse than me!!!

The top Krink to get would be that milled Arsenal factory SBR if you can stomach that $2700 price tag. Not sure there are any left (less than 30 were built reportedly) and you would almost ruin it by shooting it.

The next best would be an Arsenal SLR107UR and get the barrel chopped - as long as you're OK with a stamped receiver and a "Krink" in 7.62. This is one route I am taking personally - luckily I got a 107UR when they were relatively available and cheap. Now I need to chop the barrel and open up the gas port.

The next level would be a Bulgarian 5.45 kit with a NoDak NDS2 receiver. Lots of guys can put these together - Ted Marshall, Chris Butler, Troy Sellars, etc... Just pick a good one because you'll be stuck with an SBR that is basically worthless if done wrong.

Another option is to find an Arsenal SLR105 and have Chris Butler turn it into a Krink. He was doing this and had a supply of 105s to do it with a couple years ago. This is now a pretty spendy affair...

I'm not a fan of the Yugo guns - not sure why but never have been...

Spooky